Chocolate Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Oh yeah, I did it……
I made cinnamon swirl pancakes……and then added chocolate chips simply because you can not have a pancake without chocolate chips.
Just look at them! Doesn’t your mouth just water looking at them? They are sinfully delicious. Definitely a breakfast for holidays! But really isn’t that what the holidays are about? Sinfully delicious food…all the time. It brings people together and creates long-lasting memories!
Nothing beats a doughy homemade cinnamon roll, but the same goes for a fluffy buttermilk pancake! So I thought why not be a rebel and literally smash the two together. They make for one insanely decadent breakfast and an even better snack if you are lucky enough to have leftovers.
In our house Thanksgiving, or really the week prior… and after, means lots of people. Sometimes they are random strays that just pop in, other times they are long lost brothers (or people who think they’re brothers) who decide they need a good home cooked meal. Whoever is here, they always appreciate a delicious breakfast before a long cold day of snowboarding, or shredding as it is commonly referred to around here. Yeah it is pretty obvious that I live with a bunch of boys……..and we are NOTHING alike.
Pancakes put a smile on everyone’s face. Like when everyone discovers what Santa left them the night before!
Looking for some other great Thanksgiving finds? I highly recommend some Popovers breakfast, lunch, dinner or anytime these little guys are delicious! How about something green? Roasted Brussel Sprouts with a Cranberry glaze. Need a dessert? Try pecan pie brownies, chocolate bourbon cupcakes with butter pecan frosting or buttery pecan cookies with a chocolate drizzle. All will be sure to have your guest leaving happy and full!
The most wonderful time of year is almost here………..I know. SOO cheesy.
Chocolate Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Keyword: cinnamon, pancakes
Nothing beats a doughy homemade cinnamon roll, but the same goes for a fluffy buttermilk pancake!
- 4 ounces of Cream Cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cup of Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Milk
- Cinnamon Swirl:
- 1 stick of butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Pancake Batter:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups of Buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of melted and cooled butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- Prepare the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar together until well combined. Add milk and mix. Set aside.
- Prepare the Cinnamon Swirl Mixture: Stir all ingredients together by hand or with a beater/mixer and add to disposable piping bag or plastic baggie with a small hole cut in the corner. Set aside.
- Make the Batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and whisk together. In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Preheat a skillet to medium high heat.
- Spray with cooking spray or rub with butter.
- Pour the pancake batter onto the hot pan using a 1/4 cup measuring cup.
- Let the pancakes cook for about one minute; they will start to set up just slightly. Then use the piping bag to gently swirl the cinnamon mixture into the pancakes, pushing slightly into the batter so the cinnamon mixture is swirled into the batter, not just on top of the pancake. Keep the swirl close to the center of the batter so the mixture doesn’t melt off the side of the pancakes.
- Gently press 5-8 chocolate chips on top of the cinnamon swirl.
- when the edges start to look done, use a wide spatula to flip the pancakes.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with the frosting.
*You will want to wipe your pan clean every few pancakes so you dont get burnt cinnamon on the bottoms of your pancake.
I know.I know, I am SO cheesy, but I love it!