Easy, yet so delicious, Sheet Pan Lemon Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Avocado Goddess Sauce. Middle eastern inspired seasoned chicken roasted together with sweet potatoes and served bowl style with creamy avocado goddess sauce. This easy sheet pan dinner comes together in just about an hour. It’s colorful and delicious…and that avocado goddess sauce – well it really steals the show!
Happy Monday! Such a cheesy way to start the post, but it is a happy Monday, so whatever, I’m rolling with it. This is the perfect Monday recipe. It might seem complicated and long, but it’s actually relatively simple to throw together. It’s so delish, made with real food ingredients, and lots of color, which we really love.
As usual, the inspiration for this dish was really drawn from my oldest brother, Creighton. He loves any kind of Middle Eastern dish, especially if you can make it a little spicy. Serve it with fresh naan and the whole family will be on board, especially my mom.
So that’s exactly what I did. I drew inspiration from chicken shawarma, a Middle Eastern chicken. It’s usually seasoned with paprika, garlic, and lemon, plus a few other spices. Shawarma seasoning is a little different, so I just made up my own combination, and geez, it turned out so delicious.
But what I really have to say about this dish – it’s the goddess sauce that really steals the show. It’s seriously one of the best.
Judging from the ingredients, this recipe kind of looks like a lot. But it’s really not bad, a lot of the ingredients are just dry spices. I start with the chicken to give the seasonings time to really marinate. The spice mix is key, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, chili flakes, and sea salt. It’s not too spicy by any means. But if you’re sensitive to heat, simply reduce the chili flakes, or even omit them.
Let the chicken just hang out while you prep and pre-cook the sweet potatoes. I cut the potatoes into thicker matchsticks, kind of like fries. Then toss with seasoned salt (I do a homemade blend) and pepper.
Bake the potatoes for a few minutes to get them cooking. Then slide them to one side of the pan and add the chicken plus lemon wedges to the other side. Then just throw everything back into the oven to finish cooking.
The goddess sauce
To me, this is the most special part of the recipe. We LOVE this sauce. I’ve used it on salmon, lamb meatballs, as a spread on sandwiches, and even as a dip with some naan on the side. It really is delicious.
I simply blend avocados, jalapeños, fresh herbs, and lemon juice into a blender and purée until smooth, then season with sea salt.
Finish the bowls up
To complete each bowl, I loaded them with goddess sauce and hummus. Then I put the chicken and potatoes on top with some cucumber, fresh herbs, basil, and dill.
And then, since we just love our sauces over here, I also added some garlic tahini, which is also delicious. Never enough sauce as we always say around here. But honestly, it’s not needed with the goddess sauce. So do what you think you’ll love most! For anyone wanting the tahini, I included it in the notes.
My family really enjoyed this sheet pan chicken, the brothers, my mom, and dad all approved. It’s not always easy to please them all, so that should say something about the deliciousness of this recipe!
Looking for other weeknight dinner recipes? Here are some favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Sheet Pan Lemon Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Avocado Goddess Sauce, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Sheet Pan Lemon Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Avocado Goddess Sauce
Calories Per Serving: 447 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (or paprika)
- hummus, herbs, and cucumbers, for serving
- garlic tahini, for serving (recipe in notes)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. 2. In a bowl, toss together the chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, paprika, cumin, chili powder, chili flakes, and a pinch of salt. 3. On a large baking sheet, toss together the sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, seasoned salt, and a pinch of pepper. Bake 15 minutes. Push the potatoes to one side of the pan, arrange the chicken on the other side. Add the lemons. Bake another 15-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are crispy. 4. Meanwhile, make the goddess sauce. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Season with salt. 5. To serve, spread the goddess sauce into bowls. If using, spread in some hummus/tahini. Top with chicken, potatoes, cucumbers, and herbs. Serve with naan. Enjoy!
View Recipe Comments
Garlic Tahini: in a bowl, combine 1/2 cup tahini, 1-2 cloves of grated garlic, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 2-4 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add 1/4-1/2 cup water to thin. Season with sea salt.