This simple one pot Creamy White Chicken Chili is the perfect bowl to warm up to on a cold fall/winter day. Made with poblano peppers, jalapeños (for just the right amount of heat), and shredded chicken. It’s spicy, creamy and so delicious. Top each bowl of chili with plenty of cheddar cheese, fresh cilantro, and avocado too. Great on its own, but even better with a side of homemade beer bread.
If there’s one recipe my cousin Abby asks me to make every fall it’s a white chicken chili. Well, white chicken chili and a classic chicken noodle soup. I took care of the chicken noodle soup back in October so I figured it was time to cross the white chicken chili off the list too.
If you haven’t figured it out yet, Abby loves soup!
For the longest time I wasn’t on the “white chicken chili” train, but I’ve changed my tune. I can’t say that I really think of this as chili though. Chili to me is always red and tomato-based. This is more like a creamy chicken soup with yummy spices and lots of poblano peppers.
However you look at it, it’s delicious. And such a nice bowl to warm up to on cold fall/winter nights.
This chili is pretty simple, here are the steps
What’s great about this chili is how quick and easy it is. You can choose to make it in one pot in less than an hour on the stove. Or cook it low and slow in the crockpot.
Start by cooking up the onion and vegetables until they smell fragrant. Then toss the chicken in spices for added flavor, then add it to the pot.
Pour in the broth and simply let the chicken simmer until it’s cooked through and shreds easily.
While the chicken is cooking, take the cream cheese and melt it in the microwave. The cream cheese is what makes this a creamy chili. You only need a little, but it really makes the chili just that much more delicious.
Once the chicken is cooked, pull it out and shred it.
Next stir the cream cheese into the chili and finish it up with that shredded chicken and some white beans. Oh, and a small handful of cheddar cheese too!
One more thing…the toppings.
Guys, the toppings are the real secret here. Most chili is delicious, but what makes a chili recipe over the top good are really yummy toppings. So you have to do them all!
I layer as follows: a thick layer of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, a dollop of yogurt, sliced avocados, then sprinkle on lots of fresh cilantro and green onions too.
And lastly, I love beer bread on the side for dipping, it’s a chili must. For a second I contemplated using tortilla chips instead. But this just needs a good simple slice of warm homemade beer bread. It’s delish.
And guys, that’s pretty much it for this one. Simple as can be, but every spoonful is so delicious. Think a little spicy, a touch creamy, filled with chicken, peppers, cheese, and all those toppings. I love a simple November dinner when the days are busy and the nights are cold!
Looking for other fall dinners with a little kick? Here are a few ideas:
Healthy Slow Cooker Turkey and White Bean Chili
Healthy Slow Cooker Chipotle Bean Chili
One Skillet Saucy Chicken Tortilla Enchilada Rice Bake
Healthy Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Skins
Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup with Salty Lime Chips
Lastly, if you make this Creamy White Chicken Chili be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Check out the how-to video:
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Calories Per Serving: 547 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Watch the How-To Reel
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, if desired and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts or thighs
- 4-6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- avocado, cheddar cheese, and yogurt, for serving
- lime zest and juice, for serving
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, poblano peppers, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook 5-10 minutes, until very fragrant. Add the chicken, then stir in 4 cups broth. Season with more salt and pepper. Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.2. Melt the cream cheese in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. 3. Pull the chicken out and shred using 2 forks. Stir in the cream cheese until smooth, then stir in the shredded chicken, white beans, salsa verde, and cheddar cheese. Cook 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. If needed, thin with additional broth. 4. Ladle the chili into bowls. Top, as desired, with yogurt/sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and green onions. Zest lime over each bowl. Eat and enjoy!
- 1. In the bowl of your crockpot, combine the onion, garlic, poblano peppers, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Add the chicken, then stir in 4 cups broth and cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper. 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours.3. Shred the chicken using two forks. Stir in the white beans, salsa verde, cheddar, and cilantro.4. Ladle the chili into bowls. Top, as desired, with yogurt/sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and green onions. Zest lime over each bowl. Eat and enjoy!
This recipe was delicious and so easy for a weeknight. I will be adding this to my rotation and as this was my first HBH recipe, I can’t wait to try more!
Happy Sunday!! So glad to hear you enjoyed this recipe, thanks a lot for making it and your review! xT
Hi! LOVE this recipe, as does my entire family! My oldest daughter recently found out she can’t eat any dairy or gluten, but this dish is her favorite. Do you have any suggestions for making this dish dairy free?
Wonderful!! I appreciate you making this recipe and sharing your comment, so glad it was a hit! You can use her favorite dairy free substitutes. Happy Memorial Day weekend!🇺🇸
One of my favourite recipe from your blog! I wanted to try it for the longest time and tonight was the night. This was dinner tonight and leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Served over basmati rice. Made it stove top, Amazing !
Wonderful!!😃 I appreciate you making this dish and sharing your comment, so glad it was a winner! xx
Love this recipe! I made a double batch – do you think it will freeze well?
Happy Monday!! So glad to hear that this recipe turned out well for you, thanks so much for making it! Yes, you can definitely freeze this! xx
Really good, but when do we put in the jalapeños?
Happy Friday!!🌸☀️ I am thrilled to hear that this recipe turned out well for you, thanks for trying it and sharing your review! You can add the jalapeños with the poblanos! xx
Hello! I’d like to make in the instant pot. Any suggestions on timing?
So sorry, I’ve not tested this recipe in the instant pot, I would say 15 minutes on high pressure. Let me know if you give the recipe a try! xx
Looking to make this tonight! Two questions:
About how much is two poblanos chopped up? (I’m having a hard time finding and might use bell peppers instead.)
Do you think I could substitute some/all bone broth for the chicken broth?
Sorry, I don’t have a measurement for the poblanos, I would just use 2 bell peppers:) Sure, bone broth would be great to use! I hope you love this recipe! xx
Delicious. Just the right amount of spice. I didn’t have cheddar cheese, but it was still so yummy.
Happy Friday!! So glad to hear that you enjoyed this recipe, thanks for making it and sharing your comment! xx
This is DELICIOUS!!! This was my first time making one of your recipes and I will absolutely be coming back. I was afraid it would be too spicy for me but it wasn’t at all. Best creamy chicken chili recipe I’ve ever tried and definitely a keeper!
Happy Wednesday!! Thanks a bunch for trying this recipe and sharing your feedback, love to hear that it was a winner!🌞 xx
We added three cans of beans, thank goodness. One can would have left it with too much broth and not a whole lot of substance. I like a hearty chili. Overall, great flavor.
Thanks for giving this recipe a try and sharing your feedback:) A white chicken chili isn’t typically like a regular chili, it’s definitely on the brothier side:) xx