Pistachio Butter Cookies with Chocolate Tres Leches Drizzle.
We have so many things to celebrate today…hello pistachio butter cookies!
OKok. It’s FRIDAY, it’s ST. PATRICK’S DAY, and we have COOKIES to talk about.
You see? So much to celebrate! Cleary I am a very happy about all three of these things. I also love that St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Friday this year. It just makes it all the more fun, you know? Plus I have cookies to share! Yup, pretty much just jumping for joy over here!
I think the first topic of the day should be these cookies, sine they are what I am most excited about today. Lately I’ve been having some trouble with desserts. They are just stumping me right now. I’m not sure whether to go healthy, somewhere in the middle, super indulgent, try out crazy flavors…well you get the picture. So basically I can’t make up my indecisive mind. And for today recipe? Well, I wasn’t sure if it should be St. Patrick’s Day inspired, spring inspired, or just an everyday sweet treat. Yes, these are all the things that go through my head. <–insane person.
Finally after too much thought and going back and forth, I decided on three desserts that I was going to make and test out, hoping that at least one would be awesome. And then? The best thing happened. All three recipes where so good. YESSS. I had success!! Whoop. Whoop.
I plan to share the other two recipes with you guys in the coming weeks, but I knew these cookies had to be shared today. For one, they have a green hue to them, making them the perfect easy cookie to whip up for a last-minute green themed dessert.
Two, they are so flipping delicious. Buttery, salty, loaded with pistachio flavor, drizzled with chocolate, and then drizzled again with sweet milk. Honestly some of the best shortbread/butter cookies ever, and so super easy too! Slice n’ Bake!
The key to these cookies are quality roasted pistachios and the tres leches drizzle…aka sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk…aka the best thing ever. The pistachios are great ground up and mixed into the cookie dough, which also includes plenty of butter and vanilla. The dough gets rolled into a log, sliced and baked. Simple, simple.
When the cookies come out of the oven, they first need to be drizzled with the chocolate, and then drizzled again with the tres leches milk mix…and then DONE. The combo of the chocolate drizzle and tres leches drizzle paired on top of a pistachio cookie is really out of this world. I love the salty, buttery and sweet flavors happening.
I feel like these Pistachio Butter Cookies are the perfect spring cookie…not too decadent, but still sweet. Plus, the light shade of green just makes them all the more fun!
For me personally, cookies are an anytime, anywhere, and any day kind of day treat. BUT then again I have a mother who fed us cookies before dinner, so my view my be slightly off.
However, seeing as it’s Friday, and somewhat of a holiday, I’m definitely feeling like cookies need to happen. For everyone.
Plus, I don’t know about you guys, but this week was packed full of all kinds of things. It actually started out kind of slow on Monday, but quickly picked up by Tuesday. And today? Well, let’s just say that I really hope to go to bed by midnight…been a lot of late nights this week!
BUT first a fun day is ahead! Headed down to Denver today for a meeting. Then I’m taking the rest of the day off and spending some time with just my mom…which never, ever happens. Not sure what we’ll do, but I’m sure some shopping will be involved.
Are you guys doing anything fun today? Maybe heading to a party or making some Irish cocktails? How about making some cookies?? <– yes, cookies for sure.
I mean, do you see those chocolate covered, buttery, nutty rounds? Like I said, they’re the best…and kind of addicting. <–fair warning.
Pistachio Butter Cookies with Chocolate Tres Leches Drizzle
- 1 cup roasted, shelled pistachios
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted 16 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons canned full-fat coconut milk
1. Add the pistachios to the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse until finely chopped and almost flour like in texture.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pistachios, butter, vanilla, sugar, salt, and flour and mix until combined. If the dough is crumbly, add 1 tablespoon water at a time until the dough is moist and holds together.
3. Place the dough on a large piece of wax paper or plastic wrap. Using your hands, shape it into a log about 12 inches long and about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap the dough up in the wax paper and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a really sharp knife, cut the log into 1/3 inch slices. Arrange the slices 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 10-14 minutes, the edges will be golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheet.
5. Drizzle the melted chocolate over each cookie and place the tray of cookies in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
6 Meanwhile, whisk together the sweet milk and coconut milk in a small bowl. Remove the cookies from the freeze and drizzle with the tres leches mixture. Enjoy!