Chocolate Chip Cookie Nutella Ice Box Cake.
Who’s ready for some serious chocolate?!
I don’t know about you guys, but with all the summer berries and stones fruits, I almost forgot about chocolatey desserts…almost being the very KEY word here. I mean, I personally haven’t gone a day without making something chocolatey, but its been a little bit since we talked about chocolate on the blog…
In fact, since we are nearing the last weeks of summer, maybe we should do little recap of the fruity things we’ve made?
YUMMMMMMM. and that’s not even all of them. Actually, it’s only about two weeks worth. I know, I know, I do a lot of baking! Not gonna lie, I kind of like it that way. 🙂
Anyway, my point there was to show you that I believe this is the longest I’ve ever gone in my almost four years of writing HBH (whoaaa, like how the heck has it been almost four years?!? CRAZY) without posting a single recipe involving chocolate. Wait, I just checked, yes, this was for sure the longest I’ve ever gone. I am not sure just how I feel about that. Hmmmm…
I guess, I feel pretty good that I’ve truly embraced summer and all that it has to offer. The summer produce is only here for such a short time, so I’m glad that I was able to get a little creative and have some fun with it.
That said, I think this site is LONG over due for a little chocolate.
And since we’re lonnnnggg over due, I figured I better present you guys with something pretty dang DELICIOUS. Yes, yes, YES.
Friends, say hello to the Chocolate Chip Cookie Nutella Ice Box Cake, aka summer’s best no-bake, chocolatey cake around.
Oh this cake, it’s honestly just the bestest.
I mean, what could be better than eating homemade cookies and mousse… or store-bought, whatever you’re feeling. I went with homemade cookies, which yes, does defeat the whole “no-bake” concept of this cake, but when it comes to chocolate chip cookies I always go homemade (plus, it’s not that hot where I live). It’s what my mom would do, and well, homemade cookies always win around here. Chocolate chip cookies piled HIGH with Nutella mouse and chocolate shavings, yum!!
PLUS, this cake is beyond easy to make. Like dangerously easy, and what I especially love about it is that it’s rustic and does not need to look perfect. Meaning it’s totally cool if your layers are a little uneven, and maybe even if your cake tilts slightly to one side. As long as you have your cookies and your Nutella mousse, life will be all good.
Also, let’s chat about my cookies for a quick second. Any of you who follow me on snapchat (username: hbharvest) or Instagram probably recognize these cookies. I can’t believe how many of you asked for this cookie recipe. Well, wait, I can, who does not want an awesome cookie recipe?!?
Flip the bag of Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips over and bake up the recipe for chocolate chip cookies, only increase the flour to two and half cups and add two teaspoons of milk or water.
Promise, this will give you the BEST, no chill, no fuss cookies ever. No matter where I am in the world, this cookie recipe has yet to fail me. It’s the cookie recipe my mom made while we were growing up and it’s the cookie recipe I will continue to make for years and years. <– truth.
OKAY, so Friday agenda…you ready?
Ditch work early, come home to bake up some afternoon cookies and assemble this cake. Let chill in the fridge while you make some dinner + drinks…okok and eat a little cookie dough for a “balanced” before dinner appetizer. What, it is Friday, live a little! Have some dinner…I mean, we should probably eat something a little healthy before indulging. Then grab this cake, a cold glass of milk and probably a fork…and get at it…plates are optional… duh. ?
Chocolate Chip Cookie Nutella Ice Box Cake.
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies
- chocolate shavings for decorating
- Add the mascarpone cheese and Nutella to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or use a hand held electric mixer) and whip until smooth and combined. Add the heavy cream and whip until stiff peaks form. Stir in the Kahlua, espresso powder, and vanilla until just combined.
- Arrange 7-9 cookies in a circle on a cake stand or a plate, placing 2 cookies in the center Carefully spread 1 cup of the Nutella cream mixture evenly over cookies, leaving a 1/4 inch border. Be gentle when spreading as you want to try to keep the cookies together in their circle. Repeat to create 6-7 more layers, ending with a layer of Nutella cream. You may have a few cookies leftover...I'd eat those! 🙂
- Place in the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight. Before serving, garnish with chocolate shavings.
Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- 2 cup sticks unsalted butter melted, 1
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons milk or water
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and sugar until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla, beat until combined and creamy. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and water or milk, beat until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough out into tablespoon size balls and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the cookies on the center rack of the oven for 9-10 minutes. The cookies will not look completely done, but they will continue to cook on the baking sheet. Allow the cookies to cool 3-5 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling wrack.
Picture perfect, summer Friday night! Double fist pump to that ? ?