Blackberry Lavender White Chocolate Scones.
You guys!! I made us scones!!!
To be completely honest, I’d always had the idea in my head that scones were boring. I mean, if there’s no chocolate involved in a baked good, then why make it, right? Totally wrong! About a year or so ago, I really started to get into making breakfast/brunch recipes….um, thinking you guys may have noticed? Ever since then, I’ve been slowly coming around and have completely changed my mind about fruit baked goods. Sure, I’ve never actually eaten a fruit based dessert… for dessert, but breakfast? Yes, please!
Even still though, scones just never really excited me, but then the potential post title, “blackberry lavender white chocolate scones” popped into my head and I was sold. It just sounded SOOO good! Plus, I felt like these scones were just meant to be, seeing as I had two pints of blackberries simply sitting in my fridge waiting to be baked.
So story time!!
Do you guys ever have days when you know you should be knocking down all the things on your to-do list, but you just like, cannot for the life of you do them? That was me for most of the day on Sunday. It was raining almost the entire day and I had this huge to-do list, but man it was such a struggle. I procrastinated and procrastinated. Like I did one thing, then spent some time on snapchat, then did another thing, then researched Harry Potter vacation stuff, and yeah, you get the point. Finally at like five o’clock I decided I need to bake something. Don’t ask me why, but I just really felt like baking. That’s when I opened my fridge, saw those two pints of blackberries and the idea for these scones just came to mind.
I wasn’t really expecting to love them as much as I do, but man, I do LOVE them!
So much so that I bumped today’s planned post and put these scones in their place. And so much so that I even remade these scones yesterday just so I had some pretty photos to share… ok, and maybe I also just wanted to eat a few more! Hey, trust me, you will understand once you make them.
They are addicting!
One thing you must do when making scones…or so I have read at least from various sources, shred your very cold butter on a box grater just like you would cheese. Yes, shred your butter. It’s actually kind of a fun thing to do, plus it makes for a really quick and simple dough to throw together. I had these scones in the oven within TEN minutes of deciding I was going to make them.
FOR REAL. It’s both amazing and slightly dangerous…but mostly just amazing!
The other thing you must do with these scones? Load on the blackberries and don’t skip the white chocolate. Typically I don’t love white chocolate, but with fruit? I LOVE white chocolate. Like it’s a life changing combo, too good. You must do it, and no skimping….just go for the full cup! K? Cool!
Alright and that glaze! Oh I love that too. The combo of sweet blackberries to flora lavender really, really works. They don’t overpower each other, but instead compliment each other tastefullly. It’s a magical thing.
Soo, you can serve these at brunch, bake them as an afternoon snack, or ooh… maybe even add them as a lunch box treat for back to school or a work lunch? Yes, do that too! I highly recommend eating these warm, right out of the oven. They are bestest that way, but they are still delish once cooled, or even the next day! I mean let’s be real, who could resist a warm baked treat like these scones?
Blackberry Lavender White Chocolate Scones.
Course: Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: American, british
Keyword: blackberry, scones, white chocolate
I wasn't really expecting to love them as much as I do, but man, I do LOVE them!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter grated on a box grater just like cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk + more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/2-1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and toss with the flour. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the blackberries and white chocolate chips.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and then pat into 1-inch-thick square. Cut the dough into 2 inch squares. Place pieces, about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Brush each piece with buttermilk.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let the scones cool slightly and then drizzle with the lavender glaze (see below). Serve warm with butter.
- Place the milk and butter in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook until the milk is steaming, but not boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the lavender. Cover and steep 5 minutes. Strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer and discard the lavender. Stir in the the powdered sugar, adding water if needed to thin the glaze. Drizzle the glaze over each scone.
*Shred the butter over a cheese grater just like you would cheese.
Hip, hip hooray for all the blackberries, scones, and well…all of summer’s baked treats! YESSSS.
ps. don’t forget to vote for your favorite bloggers for the Bloglovin 2016 awards…Half Baked Harvest is nominated for best food blog, yeah!!