My new go-to weeknight dinner – Chicken Fajita Tortilla Bowls. Seasoned chicken pan-seared with bell peppers and onions, and served up bowl style with a cilantro-lime vinaigrette. All put together with rice, lettuce, corn, salty cheese, and warm tortillas. Plus creamy whipped avocado on the side. These colorful and fresh chicken fajita bowls are simple to make and full of wonderful Mexican flavors. A fun any-night-of-the-week dinner!
Another week, another dinner bowl. Apparently, 2022 is all about a damn good dinner bowl for me. I’m loving creating “bowl style” recipes more than anything right now. Something about a mishmash of food and flavors piled high into a bowl and eaten together really excites me.
I think it’s all the layers of flavor and all the color. I get to have so much fun when I create this style recipe. So even though I’ve shared a number of “bowl” recipes over the last few months. I’ve decided to continue to run with my ideas and not hold back.
Enter this chicken fajita bowl. One of my favorite “bowl style” dinners yet, and so perfect for summertime.
This recipe was inspired by my skillet chicken fajitas. I’ve been making those on repeat and just love the flavors so much. I wanted to see if I could turn the fajitas into a new recipe with summer corn and a quick vinaigrette.
Naturally, I thought to put everything over rice, and well, this recipe was created.
Here are the details
Start with the chicken. I love to use Tajin seasoning as the spice mix in place of chili powder. It keeps the flavor delicious and the spice level just right. I’ve been using Tajin so much lately. Most recently to rim the glasses in Saturday’s frozen peach margarita.
I like to season the chicken directly in the skillet with olive oil, then start cooking. You want to use a pretty high heat to cook the chicken. Then you’ll get that nice light char around the edges of the meat that feels so classic for fajitas. If you have one, a cast-iron skillet is best.
When the chicken is cooked, I like to pull it out of the skillet and then add the onions to the same skillet. Give the onions a cook quick, then add in all of the peppers.
The peppers and onions are KEY here. Just like with a traditional fajita, the peppers and onions make these bowls. I use a mix of sweet onions, bell peppers, and smoky poblano peppers so that there’s plenty of flavor.
Then add the chicken back to the peppers to re-warm. Could not be simpler.
While the chicken is cooking, I mix the vinaigrette. We’re taking a shortcut and using store-bought salsa verde mixed with olive oil and lime. The salsa verde makes for a delicious vinaigrette that feels a little more special.
At this point, all you have to do is assemble. You’ll need cooked rice, tortillas, grilled corn, avocado, and lots of crumbled cheese, I love to use cotija cheese, but feta or shredded cheddar cheese are great subs.
The chicken should be served over bowls of rice. Then add the corn and sprinkle with some additional Tajin. Trust me, it’s delicious and reminds me of the popular Mexican street corn. And while I didn’t add this, a dollop of mayo or Greek yogurt over each bowl would be especially delicious.
Top each bowl with the vinaigrette and plenty of fresh cilantro + avocado.
So much happening, but really it comes together simply and in less than an hour. A fun, family dinner for sure!
Looking for other Mexican recipes? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make these Chicken Fajita Tortilla Bowls, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Chicken Fajita Tortilla Bowls
Calories Per Serving: 478 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or Tajin
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 3-4 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups grilled corn kernels
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- shredded lettuce, mashed/whipped avocado, jalapeños, and cilantro, for serving
- tortillas, for serving
View Recipe Comments
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the olive oil, chicken, paprika, chili powder (or Tajin), cumin, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Set the skillet over high heat. Cook until seared all over and cooked through, 8-10 minutes. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the garlic. Cook 1 minute, then remove everything from the skillet.2. In the same skillet, add the onions and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Toss in the bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the peppers are tender, another 5 minutes.3. Add the chicken to the peppers and toss to combine.4. To make the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a glass jar. Season with salt. 5. Spoon the chicken and peppers over the bowls of rice. Top with lettuce and grilled corn. Sprinkle the corn with chili powder or Tajin, then pour over the vinaigrette. Crumble the cheese over each bowl. Top with avocado, jalapeños, and cilantro. Serve with tortillas. Enjoy!