Switching up taco night with these baked Crispy Jalapeño Cream Cheese Buffalo Chicken Taquitos. Shredded chicken, tossed with spicy and tangy pickled jalapeños, creamy cream cheese, and buffalo sauce. Roll the delicious mix up in tortillas, then oven-bake until warm and crispy. These taquitos are crunchy on the outside and spicy and cheesy inside. Serve with a creamy cilantro-ranch and additional buffalo sauce. These come together in minutes and are so delicious…the perfect weeknight dinner.
Some recipes are made with certain people in mind. Others I make just because something inspired me and I’m excited to try it out. Then some recipes I make knowing they’re going to be a universal favorite with everyone.
Taquitos are a universal favorite with everyone. First off, they’re just fun. Finger food is low-key and relaxed. Something about it makes enjoying them fun for all. But most importantly, taquitos are just pretty delicious. Crispy on the outside with a cheesy filling inside. They’re usually paired with multiple sauces, which you know we all love in this family.
My first taquito was years and years ago. In fact, I think it was the second or third recipe I ever shared. So about ten years ago.
Then I made these Tinga Taquitosv and ever since I’ve really enjoyed swapping out taco night for taquito night.
Onto the details
Pick up some chicken at the store. It can even be rotisserie-style chicken, as this recipe calls for pre-cooked, shredded chicken.
Of course, you can also cook up some chicken breasts and then shred them. I usually just make my own chicken. I simply sear it in a skillet with smoked paprika and onion powder and then shred the meat. Either option is great, so do what you have time for.
The filling is simple but different. Because its base is cream cheese and jalapeños I didn’t want to do just buffalo sauce, as I sometimes do. I wanted to add a creamy tangy factor too.
So I mixed the chicken with cream cheese, jalapeños, and pickled jalapeños for the very best flavor.
To make the taquitos
Instead of frying, which is traditional, I much prefer to oven bake. It’s healthier, easier, and to be honest, I like the flavor so much better. You actually taste the food, not the fried oil.
Here’s the key, you need to rub each tortilla with olive oil before rolling up the meat. This is the trick to getting the taquitos crispy all around. Once the tortillas are oiled, roll up the meat and cheese inside, then oven-bake. Ten or so minutes later you’ll have crispy taquitos.
For dipping and drizzling, I did homemade ranch and buffalo sauce. For my buffalo sauce, I like to use Franks Red Hot mixed with either butter or olive oil and a little bit of seasoned salt. I then add plenty of black pepper too.
For the ranch, I love to use a mix of yogurt, sour cream, and buttermilk for my base. If you want your ranch even creamier, you can add a couple of tablespoons of mayo. Next, add in fresh cilantro, parsley, and dill, then season with salt and pepper. I like to make mine on the thinner side so I can easily drizzle it over the taquitos.
Everything paired together…the crispy taquitos with the creamy chicken and cheese inside, then both a tangy sauce and a spicy buttery sauce…are key.
So many flavors and great textures. As I said above these are pretty hard not to love. And they make any random night of the week feel fun and exciting too!
Looking for other Mexican night recipes? Try these!
Lastly, if you make these Crispy Jalapeño Cream Cheese Buffalo Chicken Taquitos, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Jalapeño Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos with Buffalo Sauce
Calories Per Serving: 457 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 jalapeño, seeded if desired, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese
- 16-20 corn tortillas, warmed
- olive oil, for rubbing
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. 2. In a bowl, combine the chicken, cream cheese, jalapeño, pickled jalapeños, cilantro, dill, and green onions. Stir in the cheese and buffalo sauce.3. Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave, until pliable. On a baking sheet, rub the tortillas with olive oil. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the chicken down the middle of the tortilla. Roll up and place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 5-8 minutes, then flip and cook another 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are crisp.4. Meanwhile, make the ranch. Combine all ingredients in a bowl (or use a blender) and mix until creamy. Season with salt.5. Serve the taquitos topped with buffalo sauce, ranch, and any other desired toppings.
View Recipe Comments
Buffalo Sauce: Mix 3/4 hot sauce, 1/2 cup olive oil or melted butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt, and pepper.