Baked Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
So apparently 7 Eleven has some really good taquitos……
That are kept warm in a hot dog rotisserie case all day, well actually 24/7. Call me crazy, but this sounds disgusting! Who knows what those things are really stuffed with.
My brothers however have a very different opinion. So I of course had to come up with a better taquito than 7 Eleven. One that was healthy, but still crispy and full of flavor.
These may not be fried or stuffed with mystery meat, but they sure are good! Healthy too…. if you count cheese as being a healthy ingredient. It is dairy and has lots of protein so it’s totally healthy in my book!
The taquitos are stuffed with creamy pepper jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, grilled shredded chicken and chipotle peppers!
Lets talk about chipotle peppers. They are such an awesome ingredient! They add so much flavor and some nice heat. Oh and the adobo sauce they are packed in is like liquid gold! The family loves them, especially the boys. I think they have bought just about every chipotle flavored hot sauce there is! I never knew there were so many until they came back from Wal-Mart with three different types of chipotle flavored hot sauce! Lets see there is Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce, Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce, and Franks Chipotle hot sauce. As to why they got three bottles, they said they needed to try them all!
Serve alongside some cilantro rice, guacamole, and greek yogurt and you have yourself a healthy mexican meal.
This recipe makes a lot of taquitos, about 38 depending on how big or small your make them. That is a lot, enough to serve 10 hungry growing boys! I froze half of mine for easy, after snowboarding meals! They freeze really well and you can bake them right from the freezer, no defrosting required!
So what was the verdict?
Baked Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
- 6 oz reduced-fat cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt 0% fat is fine
- 2 chipotle pepper adobo sauce minced
- 2 teaspoons chipotle pepper adobo sauce
- Salt + Pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chicken breasts grilled and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup monterrey jack cheese or pepper jack shredded
- 18-20 corn or flour tortillas
- Guacamole for serving (optional)
- Greek Yogurt for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small skillet saute the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Take off heat and set aside.
- Mix together the cream cheese, greek yogurt, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, chili powder, cumin, onion, and garlic until combined (a mixer makes this easier but can be done by hand).
- Fold in the chicken and shredded cheese until well coated.
- Work with 3 tortillas at a time, microwaving for 15-20 seconds on a plate before filling and rolling.
- Spoon 2-3 Tbsp of filling into a line across the lower 1/3 each tortilla.
- Working quickly roll each tortilla up tightly and place seam-side down on the pan. Do not over fill the tortillas or they will rip.
- Either brush the taquitos with olive oil or spray with a misto can.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until crispy.
- Serve with ranch dressing, guacamole, and sour cream if desired.
Oh yeah, these are gooood.
P.S Looking for any last-minute Halloween ideas? Check these out.