So apparently 7 Eleven has some really good taquitos……
They keep them warm in a hot dog rotisserie case all day, well actually 24/7. Call me crazy, but this sounds disgusting! Who knows what those things really have inside!
My brothers however, have a very different opinion. So I, of course, had to come up with a better taquito than 7 Eleven. One that was healthy, but still crispy and full of flavor.
These may not be fried or stuffed with mystery meat, but they sure are good! Healthy too…. if you’re good with cheese being a healthy ingredient. It’s dairy and has lots of protein so it’s totally healthy in my book!
These Baked Chipotle Chicken Taquitos are stuffed with creamy pepper jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, grilled shredded chicken and chipotle peppers!
Let’s talk about chipotle peppers. They are such an awesome ingredient! They add so much flavor and some nice heat. Oh, and the adobo sauce they are packed in is like liquid gold! The family loves them, especially the boys. I think they have bought just about every chipotle flavored hot sauce there is! I never knew there were so many until they came back from Wal-Mart with three different types of chipotle flavored hot sauce! Let’s see there is Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce, Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce, and Frank’s Chipotle hot sauce. As to why they got three bottles, they said they needed to try them all!
Serve alongside some cilantro rice, guacamole, and greek yogurt and you have yourself a healthy Mexican meal.
This recipe makes a lot of baked chipotle chicken taquitos, about 38 depending on how big or small you make them. That is a lot, enough to serve 10 hungry growing boys! I froze half of mine for easy, after snowboarding meals! They freeze really well and you can bake them right from the freezer, no de-frosting required!
So what’s the verdict?
Baked Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
Servings: 38 taquitos
Calories Per Serving: 142 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 6 oz reduced-fat cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt 0% fat is fine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chipotle pepper adobo sauce
- salt + pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chicken breasts grilled and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterrey jack, or pepper jack cheese shredded
- 18-20 corn or flour tortillas
- guacamole for serving (optional)
- Greek yogurt for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small skillet saute the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Take off heat and set aside.
- Mix together the cream cheese, greek yogurt, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, chili powder, cumin, onion, and garlic until combined (a mixer makes this easier but can be done by hand).
- Fold in the chicken and shredded cheese until well coated.
- Work with 3 tortillas at a time, microwave for 15-20 seconds on a plate before filling and rolling.
- Spoon 2-3 Tbsp of filling into a line across the lower 1/3 each tortilla.
- Working quickly roll each tortilla up tightly and place seam-side down on the pan. Do not over fill the tortillas or they will rip.
- Either brush the taquitos with olive oil or use olive oil spray.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until crispy.
- Serve with ranch dressing, guacamole, and sour cream if desired.
View Recipe Comments
If you use corn tortillas work fast after they come out of the microwave and do not roll too tightly or over stuff. The corn tortillas rip really easily. If yours are ripping then they're probably not warm enough, just pop them back in the microwave for 15 more seconds. *To freeze: Place the prepared taquitos on a pan lined with wax paper. Place into the freezer and freeze solid, ~2 hours, and then transfer to a large zip top bag. Bake frozen for 25 minutes at 425 degrees.
Oh yeah, these are gooood.
P.S Looking for any last-minute Halloween ideas? Check these out.