Black spiders…well brown really, but who’s gonna tell?
I was asked by Asher’s pre-school teacher if I would bring a dessert in for their Halloween party! Of course, I was excited, especially since I had just gotten an idea for chocolate brownie spiders!
I used one of my favorite fudgy brownie recipes and topped them off with chocolate frosting! So good, so simple, and so chocolatey!
You can get creative as to what to use for the eyes and legs. I used candy eyes and black licorice ropes both by Wilton and they worked great. I got both from Target in the baking aisle. You could also use M&M’s for the eyes and maybe chocolate-covered pretzel twigs for the legs! Or just cut black licorice in strands.
Honestly, these come together pretty quickly and they taste amazing. As for my official taste tester……Asher, she’ll eat just about anything covered in chocolate, but I think it is safe to say she loved them and is now very excited for her Halloween class party. Wait, she has been excited about that for weeks.
She was my partner in crime today. This means we made a mess and I got to clean it all up while she played dress with all her dolls and made another mess in the family room.
Ya….she most definitely approves.
Servings: 14 Brownies
Calories Per Serving: 373 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2/3 cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup Butter melted
- 8 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 stick Butter softened
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-3 tablespoons Milk
- Candy Eyes*
- inch Black candy rope* cut into 2 legs
- Black glitter sprinkles
View Recipe Comments
- To Make Brownies: Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a 15x10x2 Pyrex pan*.
- Mix canola oil and butter, add cocoa and stir until well blended.
- Beat eggs with a mixer. Add sugar and vanilla, beat well.
- Add flour and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly in pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (mine took 22 minutes).
- Allow to cool before cutting.
- For the Frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter. Add the powder sugar and beat until combined. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until your desired consistency is reached. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and whip one last time for 2-3 minutes to make sure the ingredients are mixed.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a small round, leaf, or star tip*. Set aside
- To make the spiders: Use a circle cookie/biscuit cuter to cut out your desired size of circles for the spider "bodies". Place on wax paper for prep, or place them right on your serving tray.
- Take the black legs and stick four on each side of the spider, repeat with remaining spiders.
- Pipe small spikes on the top of the brownies as the spiders hair. You can also just roughly smooth the frosting on with a knife.
- Place two eyes on the edge of one end of the spider, making sure to use the frosting as glue for the eyes. Repeat with remaining spiders.
- If desired sprinkle some black sprinkles on top of the frosting.
- Serve or cover for up to four days.
Catch one before they crawl away!
Lastly, if you make these Black Spiders, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!