Spinach and Havarti Phyllo Casserole
Look at the crust! Flaky, buttery crust!
I made this casserole over the weekend. It was the perfect Saturday night meal and nice change from the usual pizzas and pasta dishes we usually do on the weekends!
I need to cook with Greek ingredients more often! I mean wow, this blew the family away! There is so much flavor in the dish and the phyllo dough is just so good. I mean like really good. And the fact that it’s oozing with creamy cheese just makes it that much better!
If you are not familiar with phyllo dough it is paper-thin sheets of dough used for making pastries. It is commonly used in a lot greek inspired dishes. I put my own little twist on this dish and used some spicy italian chicken sausage and creamy Havarti cheese!
I used chicken sausage instead of pork to lighten up the dish and make it a little more health friendly, it turned out really great and made the dish much less of a grease fest! If you cannot find chicken sausage I am sure a spicy italian pork sausage will work as well.
The flavors are out of the world good and I mean really out of this world! The spicy italian chicken sausage adds a really great kick to the dish, well creamy Havarti cheese just puts it over the top. Combine this with the phyllo dough and you have a winning combination!
Another bonus, this dish is impressive enough to make for a dinner party and can be prepared in advance and even frozen for a quick and delicious weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian chicken sausage removed from casings
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup kamata olives sliced
- 1/2 cup oil packed sundried tomatoes*
- 10 ounce package frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Havarti cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 40 phyllo pastry sheets thawed
- 1/2 cup canola oil or butter melted
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Brown sausage until cooked through and no longer pink. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat 5 eggs well, add the 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. Mix well. Mix in the basil, thyme, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and salt. Add the sausage and spinach and mix until combined.
- Unroll phyllo sheets and cover with a damp paper towel. Place one sheet in a 13×9 glass baking dish. Brush with some of the canola oil. Add eight additional phyllo sheets, brushing each with canola oil. Spread half of the cheddar cheese over the top of the dough. Dollop half of the spinach sausage mixture over the cheese and then top with half the Havarti cheese and half of the olives. Layer and brush with butter nine more sheets phyllo dough. Spread with the rest of the cheddar cheese and then the rest of the spinach sausage mixture. Top with the remaining Havarti Cheese and olives. Layer and brush with canola oil eight more sheets phyllo dough. Top with mozzarella cheese . Layer remaining phyllo sheets on top, brushing each with canola oil.
- Bake at 350 for hour to an hour and 15 minutes.
So happy for leftovers!