Witches Broom Sticks
My sister Asher, who is 4 years old asked me to come to preschool with her for a day! I was so excited that she wanted me to come, of course I said yes! Asher and I are really close, she is so much fun and she loves to “make” with me (Asher calls any cooking/baking – making).
Asher is also really into Halloween, well really she loves all the holidays, but Halloween and Christmas are by far her top two. Let’s put it this way, she has known what she’ s going to be for Halloween (a witch) since her birthday, August 30th, and we have had decorations up since September 15th.
I could not go to preschool empty-handed, I had to bring a fun treat for the kids. I asked Asher what she wanted to make to bring to school and of course she said, “cookies! No, cupcakes! Umm wait, Tiegy can we make both?”
Long story short, we decided we wanted to bring a Halloween treat. I told her a few ideas and right away when I told her about these witches broom sticks she said, “witches broom, witches broom!”.
These are really fun and very simple to make! The kids will love them and you will not mind eating them too!
Witches Broom Sticks
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Mix brown sugar, butter, water and vanilla in medium bowl. Stir in flour and salt. Shape dough into twenty 1 1/4-inch balls.
- Take one of the cookie balls and press it onto the pretzel handle. It’s not necessary to wrap it all the way around the pretzel, just flatten the ball onto it. Once you’re happy with your broom shape, use a fork to press the bristle shapes into the cookie. You might need to reshape the cookie a little again after using the fork.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire rack, about 30 minutes.
- Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place brooms on waxed paper. Heat chocolate chips over a double boiler stirring until melted. You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave stirring every15 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Spoon melted chocolate over brooms, leaving about 1 inch at top of pretzel handle and bottom halves of cookie bristles uncovered.
- Drizzle with melted butterscotch chips*.
- Place cookies in fridge to help the chocolate set up, thirty minutes to an hour.
Hop on your broom and get to the Kitchen!