7 Layer Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Yesterday was all about the salad. It was healthy and delicious.
And really every salad NEEDS to be finished off with dessert.
Preferably a gooey, chocolatey, oh so indulgent one.
Like these bars.
7 Layer Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. Yeah, I am totally serious. No messing around. That would be just cruel.
It is no secret that I have been pretty obsessed with coconut. Examples? Toasted coconut caramel cupcakes, dark chocolate coconut mudslide cookie, Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Pancakes with a Vanilla Coconut Glaze. Trust me this is just the beginning, coconut everything is pretty much running through my head at all times. But for your sake, I’ll try to space um out fo ya!
When I saw that traditional 7 Layer Bars have a whole layer of coconut I pretty much jumped with excitement. I would have done a little dance, but there were people around. Way too many people for my liking.
Alright, so here is how these go down.
I am not one for traditional. I like to play with things, switch um up, give them a whole new look. Traditional 7 layers bars just sound way too predictable and well, just plain boring. I mean don’t get me wrong, I am sure they are delicious, but these are better. Way better.
Instead of a graham cracker base I did an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie base. It is PERFECT. So goood, so much better than graham crackers. Then I did layers of coconut, semi-sweet chocolate, butterscotch, dark chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, chopped cashews and then as a finishing touch, a drizzle of melted butterscotch and chocolate. They’re gooey, coconuty, doughy, crunchy, chocolatey and all in one bar! It’s is just killer.
They’re kind of like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bar on steroids. Yeah, on steroids. It’s just awesome.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie 7 Layer Bars
Course: Dessert, Snack
Keyword: bars, oatmeal bar
They're kind of like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bar on steroids. Yeah, on steroids. It's just awesome.
Oatmeal Cookie Crust
- 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark dark chocolate chips or milk
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup finely chopped cashews peanuts would be good too
- melted chocolate and butterscotch chips for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch pyrex pan (you can also line the pan with parchment instead).
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking soda, salt, egg, canola oil and vanilla. Using a mixing spoon, mix until a dough forms. The dough will be crumbly, just keep mixing until all the ingredients are combined. Stir in 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used 3/4 cup, but we like it real chocolaty around here). Press the dough into the prepared pyrex pan. Make sure the chocolate does not get clumped into one spot. Place in the oven and bake for five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread the coconut over the top in an even layer. Next layer the semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and dark chocolate chips. Evenly drizzle the sweetened condensed milk all over the top. Sprinkle on the chopped cashews.
- Place back in the oven for 25 minutes or until the top has turned a golden brown color. Remove from the oven and if desired drizzle the bars with melted butterscotch and chocolate chips. Allow the bars to cool at room temperature for at least two hours before cutting.
Oh yeah, balance is definitely a good thing!