Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Pancakes with a Vanilla Coconut Glaze
I made you breakfast. It’s Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Pancakes with a Vanilla Coconut Glaze. You are welcome!
Or maybe lunch. Yeah, I totally made these for lunch the other day and I have been dying with excitement ever since. Let’s just say waiting a full TWO days to share these with was hard. Real hard.
Oh, another thing. Coconut milk, now coconut everything is my best friend! Oh and bananas of course, but you already knew that. I mean I think I am going a little banana crazy over here. Example One, Two, Three. But whatever it’s goood and they make things healthy, moist and simply delicious.
So why did I make you pancakes on Friday. Well because honestly we love pancakes. Especially pancakes with chocolate chips, but that is a given. Breakfast, lunch dinner, snack we will eat them. And really if you say you don’t like pancakes I think you have to be lying. I mean they are pancakes, there’s a million and one ways to make them. Not gonna lie though, this is probably the best.
Since I was just feeling extra nice I brought some to my mom for lunch. I made it all nice, too. Like it was mother’s day. I chilled a large mug of milk in the freezer, made the pancakes super doughy just the way she likes them (oh, and extra chocolate) and dolled up the plate like no other. It was pretty epic. Details. I love the little details. But you know what? All she saw was a stack of pancakes, with chocolate, some type of heavenly looking syrup thing and a fork.
Pretty sure she did not notice anything else. Her eyes could not get past the pancakes. The little details had NO chance. No chance at all.
Really, though I cannot blame her. Just look at those fluffy, chocolatey, moist, banana bread pancakes. The pictures speak for them selves.
Wait. I have not even told you the best part yet. How have I not told you this yet. You are going to die.
These are completely healthy! Yes, they are good for you. Well, I guess that depends on how you count chocolate, but I say a little bit of chocolate is a good thing! It keeps you happy. Really don’t try and tell me chocolate does not have health benefits. It has been proven. PROVEN. Like with research. Google it.
But even still, if chocolate is not your thing in the morning this ingredient is obviously optional. You can add as little or as much as you want.
Plus, the coconut totally takes you to a tropical place. This the sun, beach and 80 degrees. Man would I kill for that right now! These pancakes, they took me there. For a little…….but, it’s still snowing.
Anyway, I filled these guys with whole wheat flour, bananas and coconut oil. Coconut oil is like dynamite, it has very subtle coconut flavor and it is so good for you. Hello delicious antioxidants! Oh and then the glaze. The glaze is an amazing creation and it is so simple. Just coconut milk (the best thing ever), a touch of brown sugar and vanilla. Then you just simmer it down to perfection. Then you need to proceed to drizzle this glaze all over you banana bread pancakes. Like all over, it’s the best.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Pancakes with Vanilla Coconut Glaze
A tasty twist on your breakfast pancakes!
- Banana Bread Pancakes:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 2/3 cup milk I used 2%
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips you dont have to use an chocolate or you can use more than this. I did.
- Vanilla Coconut Glaze:
- 1 ounces can coconut milk 15, regular or lite
- 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In medium mixing bowl, mash the bananas and add the milk, vanilla, egg and melted coconut oil. Whisk to combine. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until a smooth batter forms, but be sure not to over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips and allow the batter to sit five minutes.
- Well the batter rests begin the vanilla coconut glaze. Mix the coconut milk, brown sugar, and vanilla in a small saucepan. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring it constantly, until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until it thickens into a syrup, it will thicken slightly as it cools. (Be carful not to let the mixture boil as it will change the consistency).
- While the glaze simmers, heat a skillet or grill on medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measure, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with the vanilla coconut glaze.
Shared with: Inside BruCru Life, Lil Luna, Chef In Training, Buns In my Oven, Foodie Friday Friends, Tidy Mom, Taste and Tell, Cheerios and Lattes, Somewhat Simple, Mom on Timeout, I Heart Nap Time, Fine Craft Guide, The Country Cook, Whipperberry, Chef In Training