Tiramisu Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich Bars.
For the very first Friday of June…
Side Note: Join me on Facebook Live today at 2pm EST. We are making THESE ice cream sandwich bars!
June through August around here means ice cream for dessert all the time. OK well, at least a lot of the time. Over the years of writing the blog I’ve grown to love fruity summer desserts…although I typically serve them for brunch….hmmmm?
Point is, ice cream is a regular around here during the summer, and I’m pretty excited about today’s ice cream sandwich recipe. Can you guys believe that in four 1/2 + years of developing recipes I have yet to create an ice cream sandwich bar? I just realized this now. Craziness.
Well, I’m so glad I finally changed all that, because these ice cream sammies are like no other.
Say hello to the tiramisu brownie ice cream sandwich. It’s homemade no-churn mascarpone ice cream, sandwiched between two fudge brownies, spiked with a little coffee, and frosted with Nutella.
I mean…SO GOOD.
Well you might think these are kind of hard and time-consuming, but they are so incredibly easy. I’m talking twenty to thirty minutes top of prep time, and the rest is all freezer work. So fast, so simple, and kind of dangerous…because they are THAT easy!
If you think I’m messing with you, let me explain.
Start with my favorite homemade FUDGE brownies. If there was ever a perfect ice cream sandwich base, it has got to be a fudge brownie. I mean, what’s not amazing about a homemade brownie and ice cream together? It’s the ideal combo. The brownie is thinly spread between two 8×8 inch square pans. You want thinner brownies so that your sandwich is actually bite-able.
Once your brownies are cooled, spread them with a rather generous layer of Nutella. Going to be honest here, my layer was clearly way too thin, as you can barely even see it in the photos. Enter giant sad face emoji.
OK. No churn ice cream! I am a huge fan of no-churn ice cream, so to keep this recipe simple and quick, I used my favorite no-churn mascarpone ice cream. Plus, tiramisu is all about the coffee and the mascarpone, so this ice cream just had to happen.
Sandwich everything together, and then…DONE.
Could not be easier. The hardest part is waiting for these to freeze…meaning you need to get up right now and starting baking…because it’s Friday and your Friday needs an ice cream sandwich. Trust me.
Speaking of Friday, happy weekend! Man, this week went by so crazy fast. Having a holiday on Monday totally threw me off. I was a day behind all week and it was just a tinsy bit crazy. But still a great week, filled with so many things. You know what made this week all that much better? You guys are going to cringe when I say this, but the weather!
I hate, hate, hate to talk about the weather again, but I swear, having warmer, longer, and sunnier days just lifted my spirits. I feel like I already said this sometime earlier this week, but the sunshine just makes me a happier, nicer, and more upbeat person. Also, green trees, flowers, and my small farm animals are pretty much everything to me right now. I’m even digging the rooster’s crow, as it’s just kind of peaceful amidst the warmer air. I know, I know, what? But if you were here, you’d get it!
I truly can’t get over how pretty it here. Especially around six or seven at night when the sun is setting through the trees. It’s my very favorite time of day. <–which you already know if you follow me on Instagram, as I am constantly posting stories of the sunsets.
Bonus…these late night sunsets are the perfect time to be eating ice cream sammies!
Tiramisu Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich Bars
* Requires 4-6 hours of freezing time
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces chocolate, milk or dark, chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
No-Churn Mascarpone Ice Cream
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of flaky sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two (8x8 inch) square baking pans with parchment paper.
2. Add the butter and chocolate to a medium size, microwave safe, mixing bowl. Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted and smooth. To the melted chocolate whisk in the sugar, vanilla, coffee, and eggs until smooth. Stir in the cocoa powder, flour and salt until just combined, try not to over mix the batter. It will be thick. Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans, spreading it in an even layer, the layers will be thin. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the brownies are set on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
3. Once cooled, spread the Nutella evenly onto each brownie pan.
4. To make the ice cream. Add the mascarpone and sweetened condensed milk to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or use a hand held electric mixer) and whip until smooth and combined. Add the heavy cream, vanilla and salt. Whip until stiff peaks form.
5. Spread the ice cream in an even layer over top one of the brownie pans. It's easiest if you keep the brownie in the parchment lined square baking pan. Then place the other brownie gently on top of the ice cream, Nutella side facing down. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight.
6. Slice bars into rectangles and keep stored in the freezer for up to a couple months.
The most perfect bite. Again, SO GOOD.