Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies + Video
Sometimes life just needs a little milk chocolate.
Or in this case, a lot of milk chocolate.
It is a good, good, thing. Plus, tis the season for truffles. Yes!
There is milk chocolate MELTED into the brownie batter, chunks STIRRED into in the brownie batter and then just a little MORE on top… to even it all out. They are the simplest of brownies, but they may also be one of the very best.
They are the kind of brownies that can cure the worst of days.
They are also the kind that almost every one will eat. Trust me, I know this. The three pans I made (yes, three – hey, I had to test them to make sure they really worked!) were gone by the end of the day. Completely gone. Three pans.
Lately, I have been feeding an army of hungry teenagers. Hungry teenagers who get to snowboard all day……like as their job.
Yeah, it is a thing and it’s legit. Oh, and they totally do not go to school either, but it is cool cause they are technically working. Yeah, working.
Anyway, they have all caught on that come twelve o’clock, four o’clock and eight forty-fiveish (we eat super late dinners) our kitchen is the place to be. Basically, it is complete madness at all hours of the day.
The minute everyone walked into the kitchen and saw the brownies, literally scattered all over the kitchen (floor included), they began to devour them.
This was the four o’clock hour – after snowboarding, so they were especially hungry, but still. Between the six of them the three pans were gone in minutes. They loved them.
Honestly, I have never heard the words “these are so good” so many times in so little time.
Normally, I get all annoyed when the boys invade the kitchen, but on this day they were saying all the right things. I can’t complain.
Alright, so these brownies are SO easy.
I adapted my usual recipe that normally uses all cocoa powder and added some melted milk chocolate, some instant coffee (because Averie told me to – the girl is a mad genius when it comes to baked goods – when Averie talks, I listen), some Kahlua and some more milk chocolate stirred in at the end. It is a MAGIC combo you guys, the brownies are thick, fudgey and just amazing.
Then comes the truffles, or really the truffle layer. It has milk chocolate, peanut butter and a little Kahlua. This layer together with the brownie layer is pure brownie perfection. I mean really, easy and delicious, what more could you ask for!
Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces milk chocolate chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon kahlua (optional but so good!)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (sometimes I use Hersey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa but for these brownies I recommend sticking with regular Cocoa)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces milk chocolate chopped
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon kahlua
- 3 ounces milk chocolate chopped
- To make the brownies. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper or foil, letting the edges over hang from the pan so you can easily lift the brownies out of the pan. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add the butter and 2 ounces milk chocolate to a medium size mixing bowl that is microwave safe. Microwave the butter and chocolate on 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. This takes me about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- To the melted chocolate mixture add the sugar and instant coffee, whisking until completely combined. Add the vanilla, kahula and egg and whisk until smooth. Stir in the cocoa powder, flour and salt until smooth and just combined, try not to over mix the batter. It will be thick. Stir in the remaining 4 ounces chopped milk chocolate. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the brownies are set on top. Do not over bake, if anything under bake.
- Meanwhile make the truffles. Add the 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate and the cream to microwave safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate and cream on 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. This takes me about 1 minute. Stir in the peanut butter and kahlua until smooth.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let the brownies cool 5 minutes and then lift them out of the pan. Pour the chocolate truffle/ganache right over the brownies and smooth it out until it reaches the edge. Melt the remain 4 ounces of milk chocolate and then drizzle it over the brownies. Allow the brownies to set at least one hour in the fridge or two hours at room temperature (out of the sun) before cutting. I personally like them best at room temp so everything is soft and fudgey.
Oh my gosh. I love truffle season.