Simple. Easy. Delicious.
That is what these bars are, I have yet to meet a person who does not love K Bars bars. Any dessert with peanut butter and chocolate is a winner, but these bars are addicting! Definitely a Gerard family favorite. My mom has been making them ever since I can remember and they are the most requested dessert at parties.
The great thing about K bars is that they can be made in a flash, but are still impressive enough to bring to a party. Just bring the peanut butter, sugar, and Karo syrup to a light boil (being careful not to burn the peanut butter), mix with the corn flakes and dump on some melted chocolate. Let them harden in the fridge, cut into bars and serve!
As to why these bars are called Special K Bars I have no idea. I mean they are very special, but at least in our recipe there is no Special K cereal. If I had to guess, originally Special K Cereal was probably used, but somewhere down the line Corn Flakes were substituted…a substitution that decided to stick around!
What could be better than Peanut Butter and Chocolate?
SPECIAL K BARS
- 4 1/2 cups Corn Flakes (I fill up a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup)
- 1 cup Karo Syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter, (not oily)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups Nestle semi sweet chocolate chips
- Grease 9×13 inch Pyrex pan
- Mix Karo syrup, peanut butter and sugar all together in large saucepan
- Heat almost to a boil but being careful not to burn
- Turn off heat and mix in Corn Flakes
- Press into Pyrex pan
- Melt chocolate chips in Pyrex measuring cup, stopping to stir in middle of heating
- Spread chocolate on top of Corn Flake mixture
- Place in refrigerator to cool for 2 hours – keep refrigerated
*I recommend letting the K Bars sit out for 10-15 minutes before cutting into them, believe me this will make your life much easier!
Trust me, make these for your next party, they are sure to be a hit!
Shhhh……No one has to know how simple they are!