Ricotta Chocolate Chip Banana and Chia Pancakes.
And just in time for the weekend too!
Not like I planned that or anything.
Really though, I have been dying to share these ricotta chocolate chip banana and chia pancakes with you for way too long now. I mean, I know they are only banana pancakes and that’s really nothing new. But chocolate chip banana pancakes? Well, they are just my favorite.
I have been making them since I was twelve and I swear, they are the sole reason why I started to really love cooking. So yeah, I have so much love for a good chocolate chip banana pancake.
But umm, it should be loaded with chocolate chips to be considered GOOD. <–fact.
Making pancakes, or really any breakfasty food, but especially pancakes, is somewhat therapeutic for me. I love it. I think it’s because it brings me back to that first year that I really started to enjoy cooking for people. That satisfaction on a family member’s face (ok, my mom’s face) was the greatest feeling. Some people get a rush flying forty feet in the air, off a beyond massive jump, with a board strapped to their feet (hello to my brothers and their insane friends), but me? I am much more tame. My rush comes from happy stomachs and happy faces.
It works, and I have a much greater chance of staying away from the hospital…all though I swear one of these day I will catch my hair on fire. I really do fear this day.
Since we are talking breakfast food, I did my best to make these a tad bit on the healthier side. I mean, I tried.
I loaded these pancakes with bananas, whole wheat flour, eggs and so many little chia seeds (which I love, they are awesome, you should all try them). So you see what I mean, all very heathy things…meaning that all these healthy things cancel out those little semi-sweet chocolate chips.
What, they do, and don’t try to tell me otherwise.
Also? You can never add in too many chocolate chips. Just sayin.
AND while these pancakes are good anytime, any season, any day – they are the very best to enjoy on a snowy day when it’s cold, the fire is going and you are still in your pajamas at noon. Yes, that is the best kind of day for these pancakes.
Oh and I know coffee is typical with breakfast, but what you should really be drinking alongside these pancakes is an icy cold glass of milk.
Then you are set… and it really does not get any better than that!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Chocolate Chip Banana and Ricotta Chia Pancakes.
Course: Breakfast, Dessert
Keyword: banana, chia, chocolate chip, pancakes, ricotta
But chocolate chip banana pancakes? Well, they are just my favorite.
- 3 eggs whites separated from yolks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 very rip bananas mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips...or more!
- pure maple syrup powdered sugar, fresh bananas + chia seeds, for topping
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or use a hand held mixer), beat egg whites until they start to bubble. Sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of the sugar; continue beating until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Combine the ricotta, milk, 3 egg yolks, mashed bananas, melted butter, vanilla and lemon zest in a separate, larger mixing bowl. Next add the white whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt, stirring gently until just combined.
- Stir a small scoop of the egg whites into the ricotta pancake batter to lighten the batter, then fold in the remaining whites with a spatula. Stir in the chia seeds.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Grease with butter or cooking spray. Pour 1/3 cup pancake batter on the center of the hot pan. Sprinkle each pancake with chocolate chips. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Using a spatula, gently flip the pancake over and cook the other side for a minute, or until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes warm, stacked tall and topped with banana slices, chia seeds, powdered sugar and maple syrup if desired. Eat!
And now we can all go on to have a very happy, (chocolate chip) banana pancake filled weekend.