Jalapeño Cheddar Stuffed Chicken with Creamed Corn. Lightly breaded chicken stuffed with creamy jalapeño cheddar dip, seared until golden, and topped with even more cheddar and jalapeños. Add Mexican style creamed corn for full-on flavor, great texture, and a fresh summer vibe. This dish is so delicious! Serve this skillet chicken over creamy mashed cauliflower. Or keep it super simple and serve with your favorite green salad. Perfect cozy, summer dinner for any night of the week.
I’m often asked how I find new recipe inspiration all the time. My answer is always the same, I find inspiration everywhere. Whether it’s in fashion, interiors, lifestyle, or the food space. My inspiration sources are endless.
But I will say that my family is often my greatest source of inspiration. They’re always providing me with new ideas, even if they don’t know it.
My mom has been going on about the jalapeño cheddar bagel sandwich she ate for lunch while we were in Alaska. I swear, she’s really, really into this bagel. And yes, I agree it sounds great!
After hearing her talk obsessively about this bagel, it got me thinking about how delicious the flavor combination of jalapeño and cheddar really is. Something about that combo is so delicious, and one my family truly loves.
I hadn’t done any kind of Mexican food for a minute, and then this concept came to mind. It took me a few tries to get it just right, but wow this chicken is good. It’s not really the prettiest, but I just have to accept that, because the recipe is great!
Let me tell you the details – start with the chicken
You’ll need chicken breasts, cream cheese, cheddar, and lots of fresh jalapeños. Basically, we’re stuffing jalapeño cheddar dip into each chicken breast, then dredging the chicken through a beaten egg, and tossing it in flour to coat.
This will give you a cheesy inside and a crisp outside…best of both worlds.
Start cooking the corn
This is Mexican inspired creamed corn. It’s super simple, but the perfect side dish for this spicy chicken.
Saute the corn with green onions (or use chives from the garden like I did), chili powder, and cayenne. When the corn is cooked, remove it from the heat. Then toss it with just a couple spoonfuls of mayo (for creaminess), and lots of Mexican cotija cheese.
The corn is just a little sweet and spicy. But the cheese adds a nice creamy-salty blend that really balances the flavors perfectly.
Now just let the corn hang out while you cook the chicken.
Finish it up
Add the chicken to the pan with a bit of butter and pan-sear it. This allows the chicken to form a nice golden crust on the outside.
Once the chicken is crispy, remove it from the heat. Top each piece of chicken with a handful of cheese and plenty of jalapeño slices. Transfer the entire skillet to the oven and broil for a minute. Just until the cheese is melted and crisping around the chicken.
Serve the chicken topped with all that delicious creamed corn and fresh cilantro.
It’s the perfect recipe to jump into easy summer cooking for these hot August days.
And most importantly, this is just really good. The stuffed chicken is perfectly cooked with spicy flavor and cheese on top. The chicken and jalepeños get slightly crispy under the broiler. And then the creamy corn just completes the meal.
This is one of those dinners you’ll crave time and time again!
Looking for other simple skillet chicken recipes? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make this Jalapeño Cheddar Stuffed Chicken with Creamed Corn, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Jalapeño Cheddar Stuffed Chicken with Creamed Corn
Calories Per Serving: 1263 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, or use gluten-free
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 jalapeños, seeds removed (if desired,). 2 finely chopped, 1 sliced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the broiler. Place the egg and flour in separate shallow bowls.2. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1/4 cup cheddar, 1/4 cup pepper jack, 2 finely chopped jalapeños, the garlic, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.3. Slice the chicken through the middle horizontally, being careful not to cut all the way through the chicken. Open the chicken and stuff with 1-2 tablespoons of the jalapeño cheese mix. Close the chicken, covering the filling. 4. Dredge both sides of the chicken through the egg, and then through the flour, tossing to coat. Place the chicken on a plate. 5. Make the corn. Heat the olive oil in a large, oven safe skillet. Add the corn, chives, chili powder, cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the corn is softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and spoon the corn into a serving bowl. Add the mayo, cheese, and cilantro. 6. Cook the chicken. In the same skillet, melt together the butter and olive oil. Add the chicken and cook until the bottom side is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked, 4 to 5 minutes.7. Remove from the heat, sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the chicken, then add the jalapeño slices on top. Broil 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve topped with corn, fresh cilantro and lime juice.