Skillet Creamy Cajun Chicken Lazone with Herby Corn.
Bringing all the flavor with this Skillet Creamy Cajun Chicken Lazone with Herby Corn. Lightly breaded chicken seared until golden in a creamy, spicy, cajun style sauce that is truly delicious. This chicken is made all in one skillet with herbed summer corn, and a squeeze of lemon. It’s simple and quick cooking, yet roll your eyes back delicious. Serve this skillet chicken over pasta, mashed cauliflower, or creamy polenta…though I am partial to pasta for this recipe. This dish makes great use of those delicious ears of summer corn. It’s the 30-minute dinner that everyone will love!
As we enter into these last few days of July (I can’t believe July is over), I’ve been really trying to come up with some new and fun ways to highlight summer produce. Sometimes I feel like summer recipes can actually lack in flavor a bit. Yes, I LOVE simple recipes, and I live for a simple buttered noodle dinner with a bit of garlic and fresh basil. But you guys know me, I also live for a dinner that’s full of flavor, color, and texture too.
It’s all about the mood I’m in that day. If I’m in need of simple and comforting I’ll make something like this lemon orzo or my garlic butter ramen. But when in need something with a bit more of a kick to it, I’ll turn to a recipe like this chicken.
Is it still simple and quick to cook? Yes, absolutely.
But is it also loaded with fun and exciting flavor, color, and texture? YES. ABSOLUTELY.
Sorry for all the caps, but I’m extra excited about this recipe. It’s just really good.
Hmm, I’m not really sure. I saw a random recipe for chicken lazone over on Pinterest the other week. Also known as chicken in a creamy sauce with cajun seasonings. I was suddenly hit with the idea of a chicken lazone skillet dinner with the addition of my favorite blend of cajun inspired seasonings, summer corn, fresh herbs, and a splash of wine too.
And trust me, it’s a very happy marriage of flavors. Guys, this chicken is so delicious. It even got the seal of approval from my oldest brother, who’s a rather tough critic these days.
Onto the process.
This is a skillet dinner, so it’s all pretty straight forward, quick, and easy. You’ll need chicken breast cutlets, fresh corn, some herbs, and a handful of pantry staples plus thirty minutes of time.
Here’s how this works.
Dredge the chicken through a beaten egg and toss in flour to coat. Pan sear the chicken until it forms a nice golden crust on the outside. Using thin chicken cutlets is key. The thin chicken cooks evenly and browns nicely in a short amount of time.
Once the chicken is crispy and the butter browned, pull the chicken out of the skillet. Add the corn plus some butter, some garlic, and thyme, and let that cook until it’s nice and golden.
Now add in pretty much all remaining ingredients, some wine, some cream, and a mix of cajun seasonings. Add the chicken back, and done. You’ve got crispy chicken in a lusciously creamy, spicy sauce, with herbed buttery corn mixed in too.
I know I say this every single day, but this recipe really is a favorite. It’s one of those dinners that you’ll crave time and time again. Plus the sauce kind of just melts in your mouth. Yum!
What to serve this with?
You’ve got a lot of options. As you guys can guess, I love pasta and usually serve this chicken overtop linguine or penne pasta. Both are delicious.
Other ideas include steamed quinoa, for a healthy, protein-packed grain, brown, or white rice. All would be equally delicious. Creamy polenta would also be a great option. Or for an even lighter option, my go-to cauliflower mash,
You can’t go wrong, so just pick something you love! Make a side salad and you’ll have the perfect simple summer dinner that can easily be carried into the fall months ahead.
Looking for other simple skillet chicken recipes? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make this Skillet Creamy Cajun Chicken Lazone, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Skillet Creamy Cajun Chicken Lazone with Herby Corn
One skillet, lightly breaded chicken seared until golden in a deliciously, creamy, spicy, cajun style sauce!
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets (about 3/4 inch thick)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 ears corn, kernels removed from the cob
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, cream, or whole milk
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper using more or less to your taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- lemon wedges, for serving
1. Place the egg and flour in separate shallow bowls. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge both sides of the chicken through the egg, and then through the flour, tossing to coat. Place the chicken on a plate.
2. In a large skillet set over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and cook on both sides until golden, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon butter, the corn, garlic, and thyme. Cook another 5 minutes or until the corn is golden.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour in the wine. Simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the cream, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper. Slide the chicken into the sauce, simmer 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat.
5. Serve the chicken topped with fresh thyme, basil, and a squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!
Our Favorite Recipes
No Fuss Healthy Coconut Tart.