Healthy Loaded Cheddar + Blue Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dogs
How do you guys feel about hot dogs?
Personally, my family is not all that into them.
To be honest, I can not even remember the last time we ate one. I think it had to have been when I was younger and my family would go to our cabin in New york and cook them over the fire outside with our cousins. Those were the best times. If Maggie, Abby or Little Matt are reading, they know what I am talking about.
Hot dogs, s’mores and dirt bikes up at the cabin all weekend long.
My favorite people and the best memories!
I have to say though, these Cajun Andouille dogs would probably be so darn awesome. Andouille sausage is like one of my all time favorite flavors. I am actually stewing a HUGE pot of gumbo on the stove right now chock-full of andouille sausage for the entire clan – yes, all 26 of us! The house smells awesome.
Plus, sausage dogs are so different than the Ball Park franks I am used too.
I was not planning on posting these guys today, but I thought I would give you some time before the Fourth to gather your ingredients.
Because I mean really, real buffalo chicken dogs need to be on your Fourth of July menu.
They are easy, delicious and actually a healthy hot dog.
I am not going to lie, this hot dog is basically just like eating a buffalo chicken burger, but in hot dog form. But hey, it makes it fun and I swear I think they taste better! I mean honestyly, they are so good!
The buffalo sauce, the cheddar cheese, the blue cheese, the spicy avocado ranch.
It’s all good.
My poor dad who never got to eat these, was looking at the photos and was like, “dang Tieg, you know I don’t like hot dogs, but those looks so good.”
He really loves buffalo sauce though. Remember?
This is my idea of an awesome hot dog.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Buffalo Chicken Dogs
Course: Main Course, Snack
Keyword: chicken, hot dog
Real buffalo chicken dogs need to be on your Fourth of July menu. They are easy, delicious and actually a healthy hot dog.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup hot sauce use Franks
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- 2 green onions sliced
- 4-6 whole wheat hot dog buns toasted
Spicy Avocado Ranch
- 1 large avocado peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce I use Franks
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Make the buffalo sauce. Combine the melted butter, 1/2 cup hot sauce, seasoned salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the ground chicken, parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs to a bowl. Pour in a 1/4 cup of the buffalo sauce. Mix everything together until just combined, do not over mix. Form the chicken into "dogs" the size of your buns. I was able to make 6 dogs about 5 inches long.
- Grill for about 6 minutes and then rotate and grill another 6 to 10 or until the chicken dogs are cooked through.
- While the dogs are cooking make the spicy avocado ranch. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy, scraping down the sides occasionally when needed. Taste and season additionally if desired. The avocado ranch can be stored in a seal-tight container for 1-2 days.
- To assemble the dogs spread a little avocado crema on the toasted bun and sprinkle with blue cheese. Add the chicken dogs and top with equal amounts of shredded cheddar cheese. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 1 minute to 30 seconds. Top each dog with the avocado ranch, shredded, lettuce shredded carrots, blue cheese and the remaining buffalo sauce. Eat!
Okay, now go make some of your own!