Folded Crispy Cheese and Chicken Wraps inspired by the classic Cuban sandwich. Seasoned chicken, ham, lettuce, herbs, pickles, mustard, and lots of swiss cheese. All folded up into wraps, then pan-fried until warm and crispy. These easy wraps come together quickly, they’re crunchy on the outside, spicy and cheesy inside. Serve with creamy avocado jalapeño sauce for dipping. Great for dinner, but equally fun for game night!
When recipes stop working for me, and I try one new recipe after another that I’m just not that happy with, I start looking into completely new ideas with completely new flavors. A lot of times when I’m not loving recipes, it usually means I’m bored. Bored with the flavors, bored with the idea, just bored.
It takes me some time to come to that realization. But when I do, I go to flavors I haven’t explored nearly enough. Cuban food is definitely one of the cuisines that I’ve barely skimmed the surface of, so I was excited to dive in. Plus a Cuban-style sandwich is actually something a few of you have previously asked for.
So when I started thinking about recipes, that Cuban sandwich came to mind. Almost immediately I was set on the idea.
Unfortunately, I don’t know where to find good Cuban-style bread around here. So instead of sandwiches, I decided to make crispy, cheesy wraps. Plus, I love the idea of folded wraps, they are always delicious.
Now, I understand this isn’t by any means traditional Cuban food. But it’s my fun twist, with lots of Cuban inspiration. I swapped the traditional roasted pork with seasoned chicken and the Cuban-style bread with whole-grain tortillas. I then added one of my favorite creamy sauces.
Not traditional, but very much inspired by ingredients within a Cuban sandwich. And ones that are used in Cuban cooking.
Here’s how you do it
First things first, start with the chicken. I cooked it with onions, garlic, oregano, and lots of cumin. Get the chicken crispy in a skillet and that’s it. Just keep the flavor simple.
When the chicken is cooked, the rest is really just assembling.
I took a lot of photos so you could see how this is done, but guys it’s easy. Make a cut down the center of your tortillas, then add the chicken to one corner. Then add the greens to another corner, and finally the cheese to another. Fold it all up, then pan-fry.
So you’ve got….
One-quarter of chicken.
Another quarter of greens, pickles, n’ things.
A quarter full of mustard and ham.
And finally a quarter full of melty swiss and pepper jack cheese.
Now fold it all up into one triangle.
Then the sauce
It’s the creamiest most delicious avocado jalapeño sauce. It’s one of my favorite sauces. The key is to blend the avocado with pickled jalapeños. The pickled jalapeños add a little tanginess and mellow out the spiciness. They make the flavor extra delicious and different from other sauces.
As the wraps cook, the cheese on the outer layer melts out a bit and the most magical thing happens. The cheese melts onto the skillet and becomes crispy and almost fried. It’s really good.
And then, everything else cooks together into a wrap that’s crispy on the outside, but cheesy and saucy inside. The ham, while it might sound different, actually makes these. Something about that combo of pickles, ham, and swiss. So odd, but so good.
Nothing fancy, just really delicious food. Excited to have this recipe on-hand for easy dinners and the Super Bowl this Sunday. It’s just one of those meals that everyone loves!
Looking for other fun sandwiches? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make these Folded Crispy Chicken and Cheese Wraps be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Folded Crispy Chicken and Cheese Wraps
Servings: 4 wraps
Calories Per Serving: 4673 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, using more or less to taste
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 large (burrito size) whole wheat, or gluten-free, tortillas
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped pickles
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons mustard
- 4 very thin slices deli ham
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
View Recipe Comments
- 1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion and chicken and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and season with salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes until the chicken is browned. 2. To assemble, cut down from the center of the tortilla to the edge (see above photo). Spread the chicken in the bottom left corner, then add a handful of the lettuce, pickles, and cilantro on the top left corner. Spread the mustard on the top right corner, add the cheese, and ham (see photos for visuals). Fold the chicken over the lettuce. Then, working clockwise, fold that quarter over the ham. And finally, fold that quarter over the bottom corner with cheese. 3. To make the jalapeño sauce, combine all ingredients except the mayo in a blender. Blend until smooth. Now add the mayo and season with salt. Pulse to combine. 4. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet, add 1 wrap and cook 2-3 minutes per side until crisp and golden brown. Serve warm with jalapeño sauce.