This Creamy Tuscan Chicken with Crispy Prosciutto is the perfect quick and easy, hearty, delicious dinner. Pan-seared Italian seasoned chicken breasts in a creamy sun-dried tomato and kale sauce. All cooked together with potatoes and topped with salty crispy prosciutto for a complete dinner made in one skillet. Truly one of those all-in-one dinners that everyone at the table will love. Great for busy weeknights!
Can you tell that I am slowly leaning us into the cozier dinners? I know it’s still hot in most places right now, but it is September 1st. We all know that chillier days are on the horizon. Fall will be here in the blink of an eye!
I fully intend to soak up every last minute of the nice September weather, but with super crisp nights and slightly shorter days, I’m craving a little cozy too.
That’s why this skillet dinner is perfect for this month! It’s creamy and cozy, but not as hearty as a heavy soup, or a chicken and pasta dinner. It’s just a nice balance and so delicious with rich Italian flavor.
What we all love most about skillet dinners is that they tend to be simple. And the same is true for this recipe.
Start with the prosciutto. Just like you would with bacon, crisp up the prosciutto in a nice big skillet. This takes maybe 5 minutes and will be much less greasy than bacon.
When the prosciutto is crisp, pull it out of the skillet, and cook the chicken.
If you’ve made chicken parmesan this is very similar. Simply dredge the chicken through flour, then pan-sear it in a hot skillet. This allows the chicken to form a nice golden crust on the outside. I recommend using thin chicken cutlets. The thin chicken cooks evenly and browns nicely in a short amount of time.
Tip: if your grocery store does not carry chicken cutlets, as a swap, try asking your butcher to pound out chicken breasts for you. This is super easy to do at home, but truthfully, it’s not much fun. The butcher can quickly pound out the chicken and save you the trouble and the mess.
Now, toss in some shallots, lots of garlic, and your favorite blend of Italian seasoning. Since I have a lot of fresh herbs right now, I ended up doing a mix of fresh thyme, oregano, and basil. I then added paprika for flavor and cayenne for heat. You can do this too or simply use Italian seasoning.
Then, be sure to add the sun-dried tomatoes. These really add such a delicious, sweet tomato bite. If you have fresh cherry tomatoes on hand, you could use those too.
Next, add some broth and toss in the cubed raw potatoes and chicken. You’ll want to simmer the potatoes with the chicken so that they both cook at the same time.
Finish out the dish with cream or canned coconut and lots of grated parmesan. For greens, fresh bunches of kale are key! Spinach would also be great, or really, even broccoli.
Serve this up with bread for soaking up all that yummy sauce. I love to make my homemade beer bread!
Any dish is a crowd pleaser when beer bread is involved.
Looking for other simple dinners? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Creamy Tuscan Chicken with Crispy Prosciutto, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Creamy Tuscan Chicken with Crispy Prosciutto
Calories Per Serving: 511 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 1 1/2 pounds thin cut chicken breasts
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose or gluten free flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces prosciutto, torn
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- red pepper flakes
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup peeled and chopped raw potatoes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, roughly chopped
- fresh basil
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge the chicken through the flour, pressing to adhere. 2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the prosciutto and cook until crispy all over, about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet. 3. In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the chicken and sear on both sides until golden, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet. 4. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and a pinch each of red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook 2 minutes. Pour in the broth. Add the potatoes and chicken. Partially cover and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are fork tender, 10-15 minutes. 5. Remove the lid. Pour in the cream. Add the dijon, lemon juice, parmesan, and Tuscan kale. Cook until the kale is wilted, 5 minutes. 6. Serve the chicken and sauce with crispy prosciutto and fresh basil.