Today the pictures say it all.
Remember I have a problem with decisions and I just could not decide which photos to use. Originally there was eighteen, so give me some credit. At least I got rid of eight, but trust me it was hard. Pretty sure I spent a good twenty minutes trying decide which photos to delete.
I have issues, I am aware.
I also am aware that I need to stop taking a hundred plus photos of the same food. Again, it is getting out of control.
Sweet Honey Bourbon Syrup. Or sauce?
I did not know which to go with syrup or sauce, but somehow I decided on syrup. You don’t even want to know how long that took.
Ok, so I have no idea what is happening to me.
I mean this sweet fritter thing you’re looking at has absolutely no chocolate. Not even a chocolate drizzle and you all know how much I love a good drizzle of chocolate. Example one, example two and example three.
But I honestly can not contain my excitement towards these fritters. They have four layers of awesomeness. Fritter, coconut whipped cream, honey bourbon syrup, strawberries, peaches AND blueberries! Very patriotic.
I don’t even know where to begin. Even on their own, all four elements are insanely good. Addicting even.
They are nothing like a doughnut, but they are so freaking good. Crunchy on the outside, soft and doughy in the middle with kernels of sweet summertime corn studded throughout. The fritter all by itself is amazing. And when it is hot, straight out of the oil is pure heaven.
But you still HAVE to do the rest of the recipe. Because it makes the fritters even better.
Yes, that is possible.
I have talked about this before but I am going to say it again. The stuff is good. I personally like it better than the original stuff and trust me, for this recipe it is a must! The slight sweetness from the coconut is so subtle, but it just works so well with the sweet corn, the honey, bourbon and the fruit. Even non-coconut lovers will love it.
It’s been tested.
But if the idea of coconut whipped cream sounds really offensive, or you just don’t happen to have a cold can of coconut milk lying around you can of course swap in the regular stuff. Obviously, it’s still delicious either way!
The strawberries, peaches and blueberries.
Are they not just SO mouth-watering or what? I am mean just typing this post make me want those things. I am a fruitaholic, especially come summer. Berries, peaches, nectarines, watermelon, bring em’ on!
Basically every recipe I have made the last week has contained some sort of fruit salsa and trust me I have been eating any leftovers with a spoon. No, I am not exaggerating. Really I am a fruit freak.
Anyway, the strawberries, peaches, and blueberries in the recipe just work. The flavors all together rule, and with the sweet honey bourbon syrup, it’s like magic…..
Maybe this is my favorite part… Fine – they are all my favorite parts. Decisions stink.
This syrup is so, so, so simple. Only two ingredients, three if you count water. But it is the best syrup my tongue has licked. Honestly, it’s good and honestly it is a little stong on its own. I mean you can taste the bourbon, but mixed with honey it is just amazing. Then drizzled atop the the coconut whipped cream on top of the fruit on top of the corn fritter?
It’s truly perfect.
And no, I am not being dramatic, although that is something I would do. But this, this I am serious about.
It comes together in thirty minutes, forty minutes tops if you you’re slow like me and snapping a gazillion photos in between. But I am betting you are not going to be doing that.
Actually I really hope you are not going to be doing that, because these are best right out of the oil. When they are still piping hot and the coconut whipped cream just melts into them and the fritters soak up all the honey bourbon syrup. Really eat them hot!
But don’t burn your tongue, I did that. It’s not fun.
Corn Fritters with Coconut Whipped Cream and Sweet Honey Bourbon Syrup
Servings: 5 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 374 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Collection
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
Coconut Whipped Cream
Sweet Honey Bourbon Syrup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons water
- Just a heads up. If you are making the coconut milk whipped cream you need to refrigerate the coconut milk over night.
- To make the coconut milk whipped cream. Flip your cold can of coconut milk upside down and open it. There should be around 1/2 cup of coconut water at the top. Pour this into a container and save for another use. Scoop out the coconut cream and place in a bowl. Whip the cream for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft peaks form. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Place in the fridge while you make the syrup and fritters.
- To make the Sweet Honey Bourbon Syrup. In a small sauce pan combine the honey, bourbon and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 -15 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl. Let sit on the counter to thicken while you fry the fritters.
- To make the Corn Fritters. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and 3/4 cup of the corn to a food processor. Pulse until blended together, then transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Stir in remaining corn and coconut milk, mixing until a batter forms. It should be the consistency of a thick pancake batter.
- Add oil to a medium-sized saucepan until it is 3-4 inches deep. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- While the oil heat up combine the strawberries, peaches and blueberries in a bowl and set aside until ready to use. When the oil is ready spoon 2-3 fritters worth of batter (about a 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons) into the oil. Fry for 1-2 minutes, then lightly flip. Fry a few more minutes until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel, then repeat with remaining batter. Serve with a dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream, strawberries, peaches and blueberries, and a drizzle of the Honey Bourbon Syrup.
*Inspired by [How Sweat It Is | http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/05/sweet-corn-fritters-with-jalapeno-whipped-cream/]
But it was totally worth it!