These Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Strombolis are the perfect fun family dinner or game day go-to. Pizza dough rolled up with ranch, extra saucy buffalo chicken, three kinds of cheese, and homemade “pizza seasoning” sprinkled on top. As soon as these strombolis come out of the oven, serve them up with more buffalo sauce and ranch. Then just slice, eat, and ENJOY. Trust me, every last bite of these mini strombolis are delicious and so much fun! Everyone is sure to love them.
It’s that time of year. School is back in session, football is what everyone is talking about (at least around here), and fall will be here before we know it. I know we’re not there just quite yet, but I’m getting prepared for the season with these buffalo chicken strombolis. Yes, strombolis, because I made these mini and personal sized.
Stromboli seems to be one of those items that many people only order at their favorite pizza spot. But just like a classic pizza, these strombolis are really easy to make at home!
So that’s what we’re doing today.
Really the idea just came from the fact that football season is just around the corner. Sunday nights will be spent with the game on in the background during family gatherings. My dad and brothers all had their fantasy draft this week, and they are set!
Since my family is obsessed with anything buffalo chicken, I loved the idea of creating a buffalo chicken stromboli. In reality, it’s the same thing as a pizza…but just a bit more fun. And anything stuffed with cheese is always delicious!
Start with the dough
Start with the dough. I like to use my homemade pizza dough recipe from the HBH Super Simple cookbook. It’s the easiest to make and truly delicious. If you can think a few hours ahead of time, I’d recommend making your own dough. If not, store-bought pizza dough works great too (Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s both have great options)!
Once you have the dough situation sorted out, the rest is easy and comes together quickly.
The chicken is a simple mix of buffalo sauce, cilantro, fresh chives, and jalapeños. I like to toss in some crumbled blue cheese too. I just love buffalo chicken and blue cheese together.
Once the chicken is tossed, divide the dough into four pieces and roll each piece out. Now layer with ranch, buffalo chicken, and lots of cheese. Tuck in the dough and wrap and roll, just as if you were making cinnamon rolls.
It’s so simple and easy to do!
And finally, bake
Now that the strombolis are formed, brush each with a beaten egg and then sprinkle the tops with my homemade “pizza seasoning”. This is a delicious blend of parmesan, sesame seeds, and Italian seasoning.
The seasoning might seem like just another thing you have to add, but trust me, it’s so good. Don’t skip it.
Bake these up and you’ll soon be enjoying amazing strombolis right at home. The outside has a perfectly seasoned crust, while the inside is cheesy and spicy. Another plus, your kitchen will smell incredible.
These aren’t fancy at all, but that’s what makes this recipe SO GOOD. These doughy pockets of pleasure are the cheesy strombolis we all crave most from our favorite pizza spots…just made at home. Bonus, they’re going to be pretty darn perfect for all the upcoming fall game days.
Are you excited? I’m not quite ready just yet for fall…but I am excited!
Looking for more game day recipes? Here are a few to try:
Lastly, if you make these Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Strombolis, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Strombolis
Calories Per Serving: 568 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (homemade sauce in notes)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing (homemade sauce in notes)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- 1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or asiago cheese
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 2.In a bowl, combine the chicken, buffalo sauce, cilantro, chives, and jalapeño. 3. Divide the pizza dough into 4 balls. On a floured surface, roll the dough into about an 8-inch circle/oval. Spread each piece of dough with ranch, then add buffalo chicken on top in an even layer. Top with equal amounts of mozzarella and cheddar. Drizzle with additional buffalo sauce, if desired. Tuck in two sides of the dough, then roll up into a log (like a cinnamon roll), pinch to seal. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.4. In a bowl, combine the parmesan, sesame seeds, and Italian seasoning. Brush the tops of the stromboli with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with the parmesan. Take a sharp knife and cut 2 small slits in the top of the dough.5. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375° and bake another 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve with additional buffalo sauce and/or ranch. ENJOY!
View Recipe Comments
Buffalo Sauce: In a glass jar or measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup hot sauce, 1/2 cup olive oil or melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, and a 1/2 teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.Ranch: In a glass jar or measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, 2 tablespoons buttermilk, 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried dill, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and a pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.