Today is the day.
The day I will finally make my oldest brother proud.
I made Sloppy Joes!
Yes, this is my very first Sloppy Joe. Not first that I have ever made, like first ever!
I know this is probably unfathomable to Sloppy Joe lovers.
Growing up my dad never made them, therefore I never had one, and if I am being honest the thought of a pile of ground beef on a bun does not actually sound all that appealing to me. I don’t know, something about a bun full of meat and nothing else? Just not my thing.
But then there is Creighton, my oldest, wisest (ahh…ok Kai is the wisest, sorry Creigh), happiest meat loving brother. Remember I talked a little about him yesterday?
He is a total guys, guy. Die hard football lover (Go Browns!), major carnivore (loves it), loyal to all his buds, goes to the gym, drinks those weird protein shakes, drives a pick-up, insanely protective of his sisters and totally lazy on his days off.
I love him to death, but we could not be more different.
And you know what’s funny?
Even though he lives 1500 miles and five large states away, he still begs me to make certain foods. Meatloaf, chili, chicken, korean beef, burgers, tacos and Sloppy Joes. Granted I have made most of them with no complaining at all, but I mean he is not even here. Why beg me to make them?
No idea. He does not cook and when he does he puts steak in a frying pan with water. WATER. Not oil, water. Who the heck cooks steak in water?
Anyway, this meal is totally a Creighton meal. Everyone said it. No they really did, the minute we sat down for dinner everyone goes, “oh this is a Creighton meal”. And it is, he would go crazy for it and with good reason.
It is good.
It’s like a healthier cheesesteak, but with chicken in the form of cute little Sloppy Joe sliders. The cheese sauce makes these though. It is crazy delicious and I am finding myself adding it to everything. I almost added it to a dish today, but had to stop myself. Not sure why, I am kind of regretting it now. Plus, oh my gosh I actually think Creigh can make these. So easy. So quick. Dinner in twenty. YES!
20 Minute Chicken Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe Sliders
Servings: 16 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 205 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sweet onion sliced thin
- 1 green pepper sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms optional
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 16 whole wheat slider buns or 4 regular whole wheat buns toasted
View Recipe Comments
- In large skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil, brown the ground chicken, about 5-6 minutes. Add the onion, mushrooms and green pepper, cook another 5-10 minutes, until the onions start to get tender. Stir in the worcestershire, soy sauce and ketchup and season with salt and pepper, bring up to a bubble and cook about 2 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and cook about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and mustard powder, bring up to a bubble and let thicken, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in the provolone cheese, parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir until the cheese has melted.
- To serve, place a scoopful of the chicken + pepper mixture onto the bottom of the slider buns, then top with the cheese sauce and add the top of the bun.
Don’t you just want a big fat bite?!? Trust me, you do!