Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Without butter…….
I know, cookies without butter. You are probably thinking I am crazy. But please. DO NOT be scared way.
I mean just look at those rounded guys……..
The pictures speak for themselves.
These cookies are chewy, soft and slightly crumbly (in the best way!). And yes, they are made without any butter. Not even a teaspoon. These are no-butter oatmeal cookies and they are drool worthy!
This cookie recipe has been around for a while. My mom has been making them since I can remember. I believe she got the recipe from her friend Lora. She did not make them because she thought they were a “healthy” cookie. Nope, she made them because they are super quick, super easy and the perfect way to fill your chocolate craving (which in this house could be anytime, 6:00am to the 11:30 pm snack!).
I made these cookies for two reasons.
Since starting this here blog (almost 3 months ago) I have not made these cookies once. Here is the thing. When you have a food blog you constantly need to be trying new recipes, not making old ones. People want to see new and exciting recipes each day. So, this does not leave a whole lot of time (or um, stomach space) to make repeat recipes.
Reason two? Just because the holiday are over does not mean the baking needs to stop. But after all the butter laden holiday treats I wanted something just a tad healthier. I mean they have oatmeal and canola oil (um, hello omega-3′s)! Oh yeah, and maybe just little sugar and chocolate. I mean, they are a cookie!
Oh yeah, did I mention how ridiculously easy these cookie are. Seriously, just throw all the ingredients in a bowl, mix and bake! They are that easy! Which is reason enough to make them.
The cookie dough is very crumbly and the dough balls will not hold together easily. This is ok. The dough binds together during baking and creates the cookies soft and chewy texture.
Trust me it is a good thing these cookies are healthier. There is a good chance you will not be able to stop after 2 or 3 or maybe the whole dozen!
Soft and chewy oatmeal cookies that are easy and healthy!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking sheet or line with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer add the oatmeal, flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, canola oil, eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. The dough will be crumbly. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Using your hands clump together a tablespoon of dough and place on prepared baking sheet (the balls with be crumbly. This is ok, they will combine while baking.). Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until set and golden.
- Let cool five minutes.
Yeah, they are that good.