In our house we almost never go out to eat, nor do we order carry out. I mean it is a big deal if the Gerard’s head out to dinner. Even when I was kid and things were always crazy and hectic I do not ever remember getting much take out (and if, on the rare occasion we did it was only pizza) and definitely never going out! So, If we wanted to try some Chinese food, I was going to have to make it!
Who knew there were so many chinese chicken sauce recipes out there? Orange chicken, sesame chicken, honey sesame chicken, sweat and sour chicken, honey chili chicken and that is just the few I have come across recently!
I know that Chinese style chicken is typically fried, but honestly I hate frying foods. So I made these much healthier by oven frying the chicken and it turned out great! I typically use this oven frying method for most recipes that call for fried chicken. I have found that you get the same crunchy coated chicken without the hassle of frying!
Once you have begun to “fry” your chicken the sauce comes together in no time. Just combine all your ingredients and simmer until thickened slightly.
While the sauce was simmering I sautéed a bunch of asparagus to toss in with the chicken. It really adds nice color to the dish. If your family is anything like mine then you might have some picky eaters in the house! Just toss the asparagus with a bit of the sauce and leave it separate from the chicken.
I like to serve this over steamed rice. Rice is a STAPLE food in this house. When I was younger I swear we would have chicken and rice at least four to five time a weak!
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts cut into bit size pieces
- 1-2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Buttermilk*
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 inch small bunch Asparagus cut into half sticks
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place diced chicken in a bowl and cover with buttermilk.
- In another bowl add your flour.
- Line a baking sheet with either a silpat or parchment paper.
- Working in batches dredge the chicken in the flour and place on prepared baking sheet. Continue until all the chicken had been coated with flour. Mist the chicken with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Bake at 475 degres for 20-25 minutes or until chicken forms a nice golden crust.
- Well the chicken is cooking make the sauce. In a medium saucepan whisk together garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, apple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, cider vinegar, water and soy sauce. Bring to Boil.
- Mix the cold water with the cornstarch and add to the sauce. Return sauce to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes until slightly thickened*.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oli in a small skillet and saute the asparagus until tender*.
- Toss the chicken and asparagus with the sauce.
- Serve over steamed rice.
sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and drizzle more of the sauce.
Everyone at the table loved this meal, that says something in this house!