Let’s talk pomegranates.
Pleazzzz tell me you have had pomegranate seeds or arils as they are properly called, but who am I kidding we are SO not proper over here.
Pomegranate seeds are the most delicious thing about winter, I mean why should summer have all the fun?
Now, normally I don’t mix fruit and chocolate. Unless…..unless it’s chocolate and bananas. But I mean it’s chocolate and bananas, so that just does not count. Actually, I can not think of anytime were I have ever mixed my fruit (other than bananas) with chocolate.
I know. I know. What about Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Chocolate Mousse with Raspberries or Chocolate Strawberry Cheesecake. Nope, none of those will fly around here. We like our fruit as fruit and our chocolate, well very chocolaty. What can I say, we don’t mess around when it comes to chocolate.
So I have no idea what come over me when I decided to make chocolate chip muffins……..with pomegranate seeds.
While I have changed my tune! These muffin are soooo good. I mean like lick the muffin wrapper clean good (trust me I have done this……several times now).
You guys, words do not describe this muffin’s deliciousness. The pomegranate seeds just make these muffins…..not the chocolate! WOW! I can not believe I just said that, but it’s true. The chocolate really just helps the pomegranate seeds shine.
Oh, yeah. Did I mention these are butter free and whole wheat?
Pop um like candy!
Pomegranate Chocolate Chip Muffins
Servings: 16 Muffins
Calories Per Serving: 211 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour or you can use all white flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups large or 4 small ripe bananas mashed (about 1 1/4 )
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup milk I used 2%
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips rounded
- 1/2-3/4 cups pomegranate seeds arils
View Recipe Comments
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk egg and add brown sugar, mixing until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Add greek yogurt and canola oil and mix. Stir in dry ingredients, then add mashed bananas and milk, mixing until batter comes together. The batter will be slightly thick. Stir in chocolate chips and pomegranate seeds. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter into liners until 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely.
The most moist muffin you’ll ever eat. No, seriously.
Very tasty and moist. Must warn guests about the pomegranate arils as they can be scary if you have diverticulitis. Overall I would make again, but without muffin/cupcake cups (just use cooking spray so choco chips don’t stick to baking pan)…A++
Thanks so much for trying the muffins, I am so glad the recipe was enjoyed! xTieghan
I just made these yesterday. They turned out great! The only thing I messed up on was not reducing the moisture level when replacing ap flour with soft white wheat, so it really didn’t bake up. I added more whole wheat to the rest of the batter and they baked up perfectly. I also replaced plain applesauce for the oil. Great substitute. The pomegranate added a nice texture. Thanks for the recipe.
Thanks Cheri! So happy you loved these!
Tieghan- I am seriously always loving on your recipes! I find myself always clicking on yours again and again! You are quite the talent! 🙂 Once again you are featured…umm… TWICE at Saturday Show & Tell again! Thanks for continuing to share week after week! I think you’re pretty great! 🙂
WOW! That is so nice of you! It is comments like yours that motivate me to keep on going!! Thanks so much!