Totchos Supreme Burgers.
Um…. I really do not know what to say.
I mean, I did something that some people will most likely may be appalled by.
Have you heard of Totchos?
Well, totchos are like nachos, but instead of tortilla chips you use tater tots.
Yeah, tater tots. This is Creighton food.
Remember how on Monday I said my brain had been taken over by guy food? This is the start of that guy food. Yesterday we had super healthy shakes, so today these are totally acceptable. Don’t you like how my brain works?
So anyway, I took the totchos idea and I went bigger, I put it on a burger.
Is that weird?
Alright, I know that is weird, but sometimes weird is good. If I am being totally honest, I cannot believe I made this burger. It is kind of a lot of meat for me, but like I said earlier, I was pressured into it. Sibling pressure is the worst.
Peer pressure had nothing on me. Really, I mean nothing. I went through all of high school without even a swig of alcohol (I know, miss goodie two shoes) or any other illegal substance. People thought I was a total freak and I totally am, but it is just not my thing.
BUT sibling pressure?
I totally cave.
And when I say sibling pressure I really only mean one sibling.
Creigh is a burger + tater tot freak.
The rest of them totally thought this burger was weird. Do not get me wrong, they ate it – and they liked it… but they thought it was weird.
Weird or not, it is kind of an amazing burger. A burger that your gotta eat at least once in your life time……
but hopefully more.
And if you were to maybe put an egg on top, you would maybe, just maybe, be my hero.
The only reason I did not was because I just could not fit another thing on top, but when I made the leftovers for dinner you better believe I made some eggs. They were good.
Oh, and if bacon is your thing, I added that too.
So yeah, these burger are just epic.
Totchos Supreme Burgers.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground chorizo may sub another 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 a small red pepper diced small
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 of [your favorite burger buns | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/everything-bagel-slider-buns/
- 6 slices cooked bacon crumble 2 of the slices
- 1 pound frozen tater tots
- 1 1/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 recipe [guacamole | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/ridiculously-easy-classic-fiesta-guacamole/]
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup salsa optional
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk or heavy cream
- 1 chipotle chile minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the crema mix together the greek yogurt, coconut milk, chipotle peppers in adobo, lime juice, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook tater tots according to package directions, but make sure to cook the tater tots until very crispy. I cooked mine for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat a grill or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Combine the beef, chorizo, red pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika and pepper in a medium size bowl. Mix until just combined and then divide the meat into 5-6 patties. Grill the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare or longer if you prefer. Add a slice of cheese right on top of the burgers. Let the cheese melt and then remove from the grill or griddle.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- To assemble the burgers spread a little bit of the chipotle crema on the bottom of the buns. Add the burgers and place them on a baking sheet. Top each burger with a few slices of bacon and some tater tots. Sprinkle the tater tots with shredded cheese. Place the pan back in the oven for 30 seconds to 1 minutes, but watch them closely!! Remove and top with guacamole, crumbled bacon, salsa, green onions, cilantro and then a drizzle of the chipotle crema. Add the bun and EAT.