This Spinach and Artichoke Pizza with Cheesy Bread Crust is the perfect pizza to make at home! Homemade pizza dough baked up with an extra cheesy mozzarella stuffed crust, topped with garlic herb butter, sautéed spinach, three kinds of cheese, and spicy artichokes. As soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, top with basil, slice, eat, and ENJOY. Every last bite of this pizza is delicious and will leave you wanting more. The cheese-filled crust and garlic herb butter really seal the deal.
You know, it’s funny, I’ve used our pizza oven more the last four months than I ever have before. When we built the oven in our studio space, I was SO excited to start using it. But after a few too many burnt pizzas, and then way too many pizzas stuck to the pizza peel, I gave up trying for a solid whole year…which I greatly regret.
Around Christmas, something gave me the courage to try again, and ever since I’ve been using the pizza oven non-stop. I LOVE it so much. And today, I am happy to say that I have the system down. I’ve confidently been making all of our pizzas in the pizza oven.
And you guys, let me tell you, they are GOOD. I realize that most of you don’t have your own pizza oven. So I’m sorry for going on and on, but the story leads me into today’s pizza recipe!
And no, you don’t have to have a pizza oven to make this. Just a regular ole’ oven will do the trick!
Onto the idea…
I’ve had this pizza in mind for far too long. So when I had the oven going for another recipe I’m in the middle of working on, I decided to finally test out my idea for an updated spinach and artichoke pizza.
I wanted the crust to be stuffed with cheese. Just like they used to do at places like Pizza Hut and Domino’s. Do you remember the cheese-stuffed crust? It was always a splurge for us to get, but one we loved!
And then, for the base? Garlic herb butter, but all done up and topped with spinach, cheese, and artichokes!
Here are the details
I always start with the garlic. Melt it down with herbs and spices and the tiniest hit of butter. It’s a simple mix but it’s one of the keys to this pizza.
Then, in that same skillet, cook up the spinach.
First up stuff that crust with cheese. Take some pizza dough…I always make mine at home but store-bought is great too…use what’s easiest for you! Roll the dough out, then stuff it with cubes of mozzarella.
As it bakes inside the crust, it turns melty and creates the perfect cheesy crust situation. One that people don’t expect…but of course…love.
Now layer on that garlic butter, lots of spinach, then cheese, and all the artichokes.
I like to bake the pizza on a sheet pan, or in a pizza oven, or in the upper position of the oven at a super high temp. Ideally, at the highest temp your oven will go! It’s key to a really beautiful crust.
The pizza cooks pretty fast, so in less than fifteen minutes you’ll have amazing pizza. AND…your kitchen will smell incredible. Like cheesy garlic bread baking away, but it’s a whole pizza instead! As soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, slice it, top it with basil, and eat. This is meant to be eaten hot, so enjoy it fresh out of the oven!
Looking for other pizza night recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Spinach and Artichoke Pizza with Cheesy Bread Crust, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Spinach and Artichoke Pizza with Cheesy Bread Crust
Calories Per Serving: 251 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes use to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch each kosher salt and black pepper
- 16 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup whole milk mozzarella, cubed
- 1/2 pound pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup shredded fontina, gouda, or mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 (8 ounce) jar marinated artichokes, drained
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Position the oven rack in the upper 1/3 portion of your oven. Preheat the oven to 500° F. for at least 30 minutes before baking, preferably 1-2 hours ahead. If you have a baking stone, start preheating it.2. In a skillet, melt together the butter, basil, oregano, thyme, fennel, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the garlic is golden and crisp, 3-4 minutes. Pour the garlic butter out of the skillet and set aside. 3. Set the same skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, baby spinach, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, until the spinach is wilted, make sure to get all the excess water out. 4. On a lightly floured surface, push/roll the pizza dough out until it is pretty thin (about a 12-14 inch circle). Place the pizza dough on a lightly oiled sheet pan. Arrange the cubed mozzarella around the edge of the dough. Fold the edges of the dough over the cheese, pinching to seal the cheese inside.5. Spread on the garlic butter, then the spinach. Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and parmesan. Toss the artichokes with a drizzle of olive oil, then arrange them over the pizza. 6. Slide into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pizza, and bake another 3-5 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted. Top the pizza with fresh basil. ENJOY!