Shredded Brussels Sprout and Bacon Pizza.
This Shredded Brussels Sprout and Bacon Pizza is an easy weeknight pizza that everyone loves. It’s that salty bacon on top that really seals the deal. Homemade pizza dough topped with a tangy, sweet, and spicy balsamic sauce, melty Havarti cheese, shaved brussels sprouts, and crispy bacon. All baked in a super hot oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly, the brussels sprouts roasted and just lightly charred, and the crust golden and perfect. Every last bite of this pizza is delicious. And all those sprouts on top make this pizza kind of like eating salad with a side of cheesy pizza!
Pizza for your Wednesday because it’s December, the end of the year…and really at this point, anything goes!
After all the Thanksgiving food last week, pizza was an obvious must. I love Thanksgiving and all, but let’s be real, it can be a lot. After days of leftovers, I’m ready for a change of pace. I started with Asian-style dumplings and now we’re moving onto cheesy pizza topped with my favorite vegetable and some salty, crispy bacon too.
And the best part? This is the easiest to recreate. I know pizza can be one of those foods that many of us think we need to order take-out for, but I love showing you that homemade pizza is actually so easy!
I’m not sure if any of you remember my shredded Brussels sprout salad from a few years ago, but that salad ended up inspiring this pizza. I made the salad for Thanksgiving and had forgotten just how much I loved that recipe. The sweet, spicy, and tangy dressing paired with the sprouts and crispy bacon is the most delicious combination. It creates a salad that’s honestly delicious and one that everyone goes back in for seconds.
The leftover brussels sprouts in the fridge had no purpose, but the day after Thanksgiving I had this idea and started testing immediately. Brussels sprouts in cheese pizza sounded like the most delicious combination…and surprise, it doesn’t just sound good, it is good!
And with December here and all of us quickly becoming extra busy, time for cooking is limited. This means weeknight meals need to be simple and quick, but of course, they also need to be delicious.
Obviously, pizza is just that easy, yet delicious food we all need. It’s the perfect mix of comforting, that’s also quick and easy.
The quick and simple details.
Start out with fresh pizza dough. You can make your own (my favorite dough is in the HBH Super Simple Cookbook), or use store-bought.
The next step is key. Mix up a quick balsamic sauce, which is simply just a little balsamic vinegar, honey, thyme, and red pepper flakes. I wanted to create a white pizza, but a white pizza with plenty of flavor. This sauce is sweet, tangy, and perfectly spicy. It’s so good when paired with those extra savory sprouts.
Now, my best pizza making tip? Make sure your pizza dough is at room temperature before you begin to roll it out. If the dough is at all cold it will just spring back at you and not roll out easily. Room temperature creates a perfectly baked thin crust, with crisp edges and a soft center.
Spread the dough with that balsamic sauce, then add the cheese and sprouts. Bake until golden and bubbly. I love baking at a high temp to ensure the crust gets crisp and just lightly charred on the edges.
When the pizza comes out of the oven, the cheese is melty and the brussels sprouts have a nice little char.
It’s delicious just like that…but made even better once topped with crispy bacon. SO GOOD.
The combo of Havarti cheese, sprouts, and bacon is one that’s truly, melt in your mouth good. This is quickly going to become one of my go-to pizza topping combos because I often have the ingredients on hand. Which makes this pizza great for these crazy busy December days and long cozy nights at home.
And as I mentioned above, all those sprouts sitting atop this cheesy pizza really turns this dinner into a salad and pizza combined into one. Sooo, it’s totally healthy food…go with me on this. It’s December, and we need to be in agreement that just about anything goes this month.
And with that, I leave you with the perfect cheese and bacon pizza to livin’ up your Wednesday night. Enjoy!
Looking for other pizza recipes? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Shredded Brussels Sprout and Bacon Pizza, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shredded Brussels Sprout and Bacon Pizza
All the sprouts on top make this pizza kind of like eating salad with a side of cheesy pizza!
- 1/2 pound pizza dough, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup grated manchego or parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fontina or Havarti cheese
- 4 thick-cut slices of bacon, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 450° F. Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil.
2. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, the honey, balsamic vinegar, shallot, garlic, thyme, and a pinch each of red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, toss together the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the brussels sprouts, parmesan, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. On a lightly floured surface, push/roll the dough out until it is pretty thin (about a 10-12 inch circle). Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
4. Spread the dough with the olive oil/balsamic herb mix. Add the Havarti cheese, then layer the brussels sprouts over the cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
5. Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp. Top the pizza with the crispy bacon and freshly shaved parmesan. Slice and enjoy!
Our Favorite Recipes
Ham and Cheese Croissant Bake.