Spicy Oregano Meatballs with Grilled Vegetables and Tzatziki…a simple summer dinner with such wonderful flavor. Pan-seared meatballs with fresh oregano and chili flakes, tossed with summery grilled veggies, and a tasty lemon herb vinaigrette. Serve these spicy meatballs with creamy tzatziki sauce for a cooling touch. Truly one of those dinners that everyone at the table will love…especially if served with a side of fries.
I’m not sure if you can tell or not, but I’m really trying to embrace summer dinners. I want them fresh, colorful, fun, and well – different.
The fresh and colorful part is usually pretty easy. Thankfully I have access to so much incredible produce right now from both our garden and local stores.
But the coming up with different recipes part? Well, that’s a little trickier. I’ve mentioned before that sometimes I feel like summer recipes can be a repeat of tomatoes and corn, grilled chicken, lots of pesto, and plenty of caprese salads. Nothing wrong with that, but variety is nice too!
I scratched my brain a bit for this recipe and ended up being so excited with how it turned out. I feel like it’s different, but still simple, and of course, super flavorful.
The idea stemmed from my brother’s love of Greek food and meatballs. So I simply combined the two loves and added some summer herbs and vegetables.
Plus, fries on the side. Because something about a summer dinner requires a big plate of fries on the side.
The details – start with the meatballs
The meatballs…I seasoned the ground meat (I like to use a mix of ground chicken and ground pork) with shallots, smoked paprika, and plenty of fresh oregano. I then rolled everything into balls…and done. The chili flakes give them a really nice spiciness, but use them to your taste.
Once the meatballs are formed, I let them sit while I prep the vegetables.
Now the veggies and vinaigrette
This vinaigrette is sweet, tangy, and herby, with basil, oregano, thyme and lemon. It’s also got a slight kick from some chili flakes. And the honey keeps things sweet…a nice balance to the spicy.
If you love a lot of vinaigrette, double the recipe. This is that good, and adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
For the vegetables, I use a mix of red peppers, zucchini, and yellow summer squash. I like to toss them with olive oil, then grill them until lightly charred. If you don’t have a grill, you can easily roast these up in the oven, or saute them in a skillet.
When the veggies are finished cooking, toss them with the vinaigrette and let them sit while you cook the meatballs.
Cook the meatballs and finish it up
The rest is pretty simple. You’ll pan cook the meatballs until crisp on the outside and cooked through inside. This really only takes a few minutes, the process is quick.
To serve, I toss the meatballs with the grilled vegetables, then pile everything over some fresh naan. Then drizzle on some creamy tzatziki sauce plus the remaining vinaigrette.
All that’s left is to add a sprinkle of feta cheese and you’re done.
My only recommendation? Fries on the side!!
Looking for other simple summer dinners, try these:
Lastly, if you make these Spicy Oregano Meatballs with Grilled Vegetables and Tzatziki, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Spicy Oregano Meatballs with Grilled Vegetables and Tzatziki
Calories Per Serving: 736 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken, pork, or a mix
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash, sliced into rounds
- 2 bell peppers, quartered
- 1 cup tzatziki
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- naan, for serving
- 1. Add the meat, shallot, oregano, paprika, chili flakes, and a pinch of salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix until combined. Coat your hands with a bit of oil and roll the meat into rounded tablespoon-size balls (will make 16-18 meatballs). Set aside. 2. In a bowl, toss the zucchini and peppers with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Preheat the grill or grill pan to high. 3. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. Combine all ingredients in a glass jar and whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper.5. Grill the peppers and zucchini until softened, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from the grill to a serving plate and toss with half the vinaigrette.6. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the meatballs and sear until crisp and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, turning them 2-3 times. Transfer to a plate.7. Serve the meatballs warm, tossed with the vegetables. Add a large dollop of tzatziki to each plate, then crumble the feta over top. Enjoy with naan and/or french fries.
View Recipe Comments
Link to naan recipe.