Hey, hey! It’s Memorial Day! Yay, Yay!
First I just have to, no want to, say thank you so much to those who have served our country…
You guys are brave and you seriously rock!
Since in my mind it is summer, that means only one thing, strawberries.
Lots and lots and LOTS of strawberries, and watermelon and nectarines and blueberries. Ok, fine obviously all summer fruit is racing through my mind right now. Honestly, I can not get them out of my head. Fruit and ice cream, seem to be the only thing I want to cook/bake with right now.
Oh and burgers.
Hope you don’t mind.
I thought there really was no better way to kick off summer than with fresh homemade strawberry-basil limeade. Yeah, you heard me I said limeade, it’s sweet and sour and so thirst quenching.
It’s the new lemonade. All right, not really, but it’s just as good!
I got a thing for limes. They rule and so does basil, so I put them together.
I am a genius. Right?
Then I made these ice cubes.
Ice cubes with fruit in them. Now that makes a pretty drink. Just freeze the fruit in some tequila (you can skip this if you would like) and lime juice, this obviously makes some extremely fun and oh so summery ice cubes! There’s not all that much tequila, because well obviously, the tequila does not freeze, but when I mixed just a few tablespoons in with the lime juice it worked like a charm! Just a fun little (very harmless) little kick.
I just love these ice cubes, I mean come on. Tell me these are not the prettiest looking ice cubes you ever laid your eye on? Yeah, I think I am crushing on them hard. Get it “crushing on them”.
No? Ah, I know. I need to not try not to be funny because I have not a humorous bone in my body. Watching or rather listening to me try to tell a joke is the most uncomfortable thing. Luckily, I gave up trying a long time ago. Trust me this is best for all of us, just ask my brothers.
Other than waiting the hour for the ice cubes to freeze this is the easiest thing ever. Five minutes prep and your done.
That’s an awesome summer recipe and seriously you probably can’t get to the store and back in under an hour. Well, at least there is no way I can do that. My grocery store trips tend to be an hour and a half round trip, two hours if I have to stop at Einstein’s to get bagels. Ugh.
The only thing is if you want your water to be well, sparkly and carbonated, you have to drink these right away. If you are not interested in drinking the whole thing right then and there I suggest leaving the strawberry-basil-lime mix in the fridge. Then just add a little of the mix to a glass and pour in fresh sparkling water. This way you can drink it whenever you want. Or you can also just skip the sparkling water all together and use regular water, but come on sparkling water is so good with the limeade.
It is awesome an awesome little summer drink!
Do the sparkles.
Sparkling Strawberry Basil Limeade with Tequila Strawberry-Lime Ice
Servings: 6 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 609 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
Tequila Sour Lime Ice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoons to 3 tequila optional
- 4 strawberries chopped
- strips of 1 lime
View Recipe Comments
- Make the ice cubes. Divide the strips of lime and chunks of strawberry among an ice cub mold or I used a mini muffin tin. Mix the lime juice with the tequila and pour over the the fruit or just pour the lime juice over the fruit if you are not using the tequila. Freeze at least one hour before serving.
- When your ice cubes are ready, make the Strawberry Basil Limeade. Blend the strawberries, lime juice and basil in a blender or food processor until smooth. If desired strain the strawberry puree through a sieve or fine mesh colander. I recommend doing this only if you have kids who will be drinking these, otherwise I would just leave the strawberry seeds in the drink.
- Pour the strawberry, basil and lime mixture into a large pitcher. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. When you are ready to drink the limeade, carefully add the sparkling water (or use regular water if you need the drink to sit a while).
- Check the flavor and adjust according to taste with more sugar if needed. Serve with the tequila lime ice, or just the sour lime ice, and fresh lime and strawberries.
Hope you guys have had a great long weekend!