This is the start of many delicious football-ish/game day foods.
It’s August twenty-seventh, which means we have only about two weeks left till the start of football. I know that some people get excited for the start of football season for, well – the football. For me, football season symbolizes cozy fall nights by the fire and some really good food. Therefore, I figured that it was probably time to slowly start dishing out the football inspired foods. Plus, how perfect would these burgers also be for the long Labor Day weekend coming up???
Which by the way, I cannot believe it is already Labor day weekend. How does this sneak up on me every year?? Do you guys have any fun plans?
Since I really have nothing too exciting to share, let’s just get right to these Chipotle Cheddar Burgers with Corn Fritters today.
The truth is these burgers are all the excitement this post needs. I mean, did you read the street corn fritter part??
I am going through a corn frenzy at the moment…err, corn and tomato frenzy. Can you blame me though? It’s the height of the season and I cannot get enough. Basically what I am trying to say is, I would expect a lot of corn from now through September. It’s gonna be gettin good.
The base of these burgers start out with a super flavorful and moist ground chicken. Well, I used chicken, but you could use turkey too. I seasoned the meat with some spices and chipotle chile peppers. I know that chicken and turkey burgers can tend to be a little dry, but not these. All you taste is deliciousness and a whole lot of cheddar cheese.
FYI, the combo of chipotle and cheddar will always be a favorite of mine. The seasoning I used for these burgers is a combo I have been using since way before the blog. I first started using it when I began making my brother steak burritos after snowboarding. I just experimented a little and found that this combo worked pretty awesomely. It’s one of my favorite seasonings. A little spicy and just a teensy bit sweet. Perfection.
Ok, so I love the burgers, but to be honest they are just a vessel to hold the street corn fritters. Oh my gosh, these fritters.
Best. Fritters. Ever.
It’s no secret that I love corn fritters. I mean, I have made kind a few over a short period of time. These sweet ones paired with summer fruit, these savory BLT fritters and these delicious fritters that I need to make again, stuffed with spinach, artichokes and BRIE! These street corn fritters though?? Well they may be my new favorite out of them all. Do you guys remember this Mexican street corn quinoa salad? Well, I took those flavors, took away the quinoa, added lots of cotija cheese and fried them into the cutest little fritters to place on top of your burgers. They’re the best thing ever.
I love fries on my burgers, but fritters may just be better. They are crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle, sweet from the corn and umm, the cotija cheese – yeah, that should pretty much have you sold.
Really, I do not think I could think of a better game day burger if I tried. Your tailgating party needs these, your Labor Day needs these, your Sunday night, Monday night and jeez, even your Thursday night needs these. Heck, even tonight you needs these. It’s mid week so make something fun. Something down right delicious is always needed, it’ll help get you through till Friday!
Smoky Chipotle Cheddar Burgers with Mexican Street Corn Fritters.
Servings: 4 Burgers
Calories Per Serving: 1001 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground chicken
- 3/4 whole panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 2 in chipotle chiles adobo from a can minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 slices thick sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 brioche burger buns toasted
- 1-2 avocados mashed lightly with lime juice 2T cilantro, pinch of salt + pepper
- [chipotle mayo | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/bourbon-caramelized-bacon-heirloom-tomato-blt-wfried-eggs-smoked-gouda/] for serving (optional)
Mexican Street Corn Frittes
- 1 jalapeno seeded + minced
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper
- 1/2 cup milk any % you prefer
- 1 1/4 cups sweet yellow corn about 2 ears
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 4-6 ounces cotija cheese crumbled
- canola oil for frying
View Recipe Comments
- To prepare the burgers add the ground turkey or chicken to a medium bowl. Add the panko, lime juice, garlic, chipotle chiles, brown sugar, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika and a pinch of both salt and pepper. Mix until just combined and then form the meat into 4 equal size patties. Place on a plate and put in the fridge until ready to cook.
- To make the corn fritters, add the flour, baking powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and milk to a bowl. Stir until combined. Fold in the corn, cilantro and cotija cheese. It should be the consistency of a very thick pancake batter, if needed add a tablespoon more of milk. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Preheat your grill to medium high heat.
- Add oil to a large saucepan and heat over medium high heat. When the oil is hot add a about 1-2 teaspoons of batter to the pot. Fry for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel, then repeat with remaining batter. Keep the fritters warm in the oven until the burgers are ready.
- Meanwhile turn up your grill or a grill pan to high heat. Grill the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare or longer for your desired doneness. Add the cheddar cheese during the last minute of cooking.
- Spread a little mayo over the bottom of the toasted buns. Divide the burgers among the buns. Spread the mashed avocados over the burgers and top with street corn fritters. Add the top bun. DEVOUR.
This shot above – it’s just for show, trust me, these corn fritters were all eaten. So don’t leave any behind, they’re just too crazy good to waste!.