Keeping things healthy and delicious with this Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Sesame Sweet Potatoes and Hummus. Middle eastern seasoned chicken, roasted with sesame sweet potatoes, and served up bowl style with hummus, fresh naan, arugula, and even some feta too. This quick cooking, easy sheet pan dinner comes together in just about an hour. It’s colorful, healthy, and beyond good. Incorporate this into your weekly dinner rotation, serve it up at your next dinner party, or prep ahead of time and enjoy for lunch throughout the week.
I figured starting Monday off with a healthy sheet pan recipe would be a welcomed idea by all. Whether you celebrated the Super Bowl or not, it’s always nice to start the week off with something easy, colorful, and delicious. This sheet pan recipe is all of that, and I really could not be more into it. It’s SO GOOD.
I actually made this just this past Friday. I had other plans for today’s post, but was way too excited to share this recipe. It’s one of those dinners I know I’ll be making time and time again.
Over the years I’ve made a lot of versions of Shawarma, none of them all that traditional…definitely not this cauliflower Shawarma. But they’re all wonderful in their own way. Shawarma is a middle eastern street food made with roasted meat. Originally lamb was used, but it’s often made with chicken, beef, or pork as well. The meat is then seasoned well, and usually served inside a pita, or on a plate with hummus.
I’ve been on a huge chickpea and sweet potato kick these last few weeks. So when I had the idea of a hummus bowl with sesame sweet potatoes, I knew I also needed to include chicken Shawarma.
Quite simply, here’s a way to enjoy a bowl of hummus and middle eastern street food, both together for dinner.
Perfect for Monday night, right?
The quick break down of this sheet pan dinner.
For starters, find yourself a good sheet pan. A lot of you have been asking what my personal favorite is. I love these USA Pans. I don’t use them in photos because they don’t project that “vintage” look I often go for. But I do use them almost everyday. The ridges keep food from sticking and make for easiest clean up.
You got your sheet pan? Great. Now add some chicken breasts and season them well with plenty of garlic, smoked paprika (very important for flavor), cumin, and lemon. Add sweet potatoes, sesame seeds, and olive oil. Toss, toss, toss. Then roast in the oven until the chicken is cooked and the sweet potatoes are charring on the edges.
While the chicken is roasting, mix up a simple arugula and sun-dried tomato salad. Locate some hummus (yes, store bought is totally fine), slice up some cucumbers, and crumble some feta. Once the chicken and sweet potatoes have finished cooking, toss everything together.
It’s kind of like eating at a middle eastern restaurant snuggled in the heart of NYC. But better, because you’re nice and cozy in your own home.
Bonus? This is such a great meal to incorporate into your weekly meal prep.
If you make this sheet pan chicken Shawarma, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Sesame Sweet Potatoes and Hummus
Calories Per Serving: 1170 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes + 2 tablespoons oil from the jar
- 4 ounces cubed feta cheese
- 2 cups plain hummus, homemade or store-bought
- naan, Persian cucumbers, and fresh dill, for serving
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. 2. On a rimmed baking sheet, combine the chicken, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, garlic, paprika, cumin, crushed red pepper, the juice of 1 lemon, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat the chicken. Add the sweet potatoes and drizzle with olive oil, sesame seeds, salt and pepper. Arrange everything in an even layer. Add the juiced lemon halves. Transfer to the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.3. Meanwhile, combine the arugula, sun-dried tomatoes + 2 tablespoons oil from the jar, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.4. To serve, spread the hummus into bowls and top with the chicken, arugula, cucumbers, feta, and fresh dill. Serve with naan. Enjoy!
TO MEAL PREP
- 1. Prepare as directed above through step 3. Let the chicken and sweet potatoes cool.
2. Divide the chicken and sweet potatoes among 4-6 storage containers. Add the arugula and sun-dried tomatoes, leaving off the sun-dried tomato oil to prevent the greens from wilting. 3. Alternately, you can store the chicken, hummus, and veggies in separate containers and assemble when ready. Food will keep in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. 4. Before serving, warm each bowl, if desired, and top with hummus, feta, cucumbers, and dill.