Rocky Road Pudding Parfaits.
Today let’s be kids again.
Because it’s Tuesday, and we all could use something fun to get us through the week. I mean, right?!
Okay, so I have to keep things short and to the point today. Here goes nothing…
These Rocky Road Pudding Parfaits, they are DELICIOUS, and yes they make you feel 1. like you’re a kid again, and 2. like it’s summertime. Clearly I’m ready for summertime, but clearly I am way ahead of the Summit County, Colorado weather schedule because it’s totally supposed to snow today. Ugh. What’s new.
Anyway, growing up, I was never really that into rocky road ice cream. I dunno why, I think I just didn’t love extras in my ice cream. However, I never knew (or maybe I just didn’t pay attention), that my mom has always loved rocky road ice cream. I only realized this a few years ago, but I wish I would have known sooner. She’s recently kind of turned me on to all things rocky road.
I mean, what’s not to love? Salty almonds, sweet marshmallows and rich chocolate? Yes PLEASE, I am so all for that! 🙂
Since it’s not quite ice cream season yet, I decided to fulfill my rocky road craving with a creamy pudding. Oh yeah, pudding!! Could I be more like a five-year old or what? I think not.
The thing about this pudding is that it’s all homemade, and man it is so good! You’ll never go back to store-bought pudding mixes again. Homemade is where it’s at! 🙂
AND guys, it’s honestly just as easy as using a boxed pudding mix, and takes just as much time. No lie. All you need is some chocolate, cocoa powder, cornstarch, sugar, milk and vanilla. Simple as that. You may even have all these ingredients in your pantry right now.
Meaning you should probably go check and see, cause you pretty much need to make these cute little desserts ASAP. I’m not trying to be demanding or anything, but I really just feel like your Tuesday NEEDS these. You can thank me later. 🙂
So that’s all about the pudding. Let’s talk rocky road and toppings! For my rocky road, I used a combo of roasted almonds, peanuts, mini marshmallows and semi-sweet chocolate chips…I thought I was done there, but then I went and added a handful of pretzels too. I figured I was channeling my inner ten-year old self, so why no go for it!
Good idea for sure!!
The layers in order:
…chocolate pudding – homemade and perfect.
…chocolate pudding whipped cream – for a light airy element.
…rocky road – but stepped up a notch with peanuts, chocolate chips and pretzels. Yum.
…generous scoop of peanut butter cup ICE CREAM, or any flavor you want, but again I was channeling my inner ten-year old, so peanut butter cup all the way!
…drizzle of magic shell – cause why the heck not?!?
You see why you need these like now? So much goodness, so easy to make and well, they just make you feel all good inside. Plus, you can totally pretend it’s summer and you’re back chillin in the warm sun on summer break with not a care in the world.
Reality can take a chill for ten or twenty minutes while you enjoy these.
Rocky Road Pudding Parfaits.
Course: Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: American, French
Keyword: parfait, pudding, rocky road
Today let's be kids again.
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds chopped
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- cup vanilla chocolate or chocolate peanut butter ice cream, for serving (optional)
- melted chocolate or hot fudge for serving (optional)
- In a medium size sauce pan, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, pinch of salt and cornstarch and whisk until combined. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking until smooth. Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a low boil, whisking consistently. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and is pudding like. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate and vanilla.
- Scoop about 3/4 cup of the pudding out into a separate bowl. Cover and place in the fridge to chill. Divide the remaining pudding between 4-6 parfait glasses. Cover and place in the fridge to chill.
- Meanwhile, add the cream to a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until combined. Grab the reserved 3/4 cup chocolate pudding from the fridge. Fold the pudding into the whipped cream.
- Divide the whipped cream among each parfait glass.
- In a bowl, mix together the peanuts, almonds, marshmallows and chocolate chips. Sprinkle the rocky road evenly over top each parfait. Chill the parfaits, covered until ready to serve.
- To serve, top each parfaits with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate or fudge sauce. EAT!
They are so good for your sanity. 🙂