I am hoping my brothers do not read this post.
Because they willingly ate… and loved, these chicken strips. Of course they had not a clue that quinoa was involved.
And I would really like to keep it that way so I can continue to make them, because they are good. Plus, the dipping/coating options for these strips are endless. So many options.
Side note: I recently made another quinoa bake only this one was heavy on the Mexican and included chicken. I decided to serve it to my oldest brother Creighton, knowing that the last time I tried to serve quinoa to him he almost lost it on me. Oh wait, he did lose it on me. But I gave it to him anyway, and oh my gosh, it is his new favorite dish. He and he alone has eaten the entire 9×13 inch baking dish over the course of the last couple days. He loves the stuff.
Obviously, I am in shock.
And obviously I am never telling him there was quinoa in it.
See why I hope the brothers are not reading today? I am revealing too many secrets. Must stop.
Point is, if my brothers went for the quinoa crusted chicken (and loved it), my guess is that whoever you are trying to please will love them too.
They never need to know they’re actually healthy.
Sometimes secrets are a good thing.
FYI, I hope when I finally have time for a guy (other than my brothers), that he is not so hard to please and eats things other than beef and chicken. Chances are though, he’ll be just like my brothers. For some reason this happens to me.
So BBQ Honey Mustard? The stuff is addicting and goes perfectly with these strips. They are the ideal Thursday night meal (hey does that rhyme?). Or better yet, the night before Friday. Which we all know is when the weekend really starts. Or at least we can start getting pumped for the weekend.
These strips will help to build the excitement for Friday. OK, really they’ll just make you happy, because who the heck does not love simple kid food like this? Apparently I like it a lot since I posted chicken fingers last week. Sorry, promise to lay off the kid stuff for a least another two weeks, just couldn’t help myself though!
Quinoa Crusted Chicken Strips with BBQ Honey Mustard.
Servings: 4 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 480 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Quinoa Crusted Chicken Strips
View Recipe Comments
BBQ Honey Mustard
- In a medium size bowl combine the dijon mustard, honey, BBQ sauce and lime juice. Mix well and season with salt and pepper if needed. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat.
- Spread the quinoa on the prepared baking sheet and bake until toasted, golden brown and crispy, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool, then transfer all but 1/3 cup to a food processor or high powdered blender. Process the quinoa until half of it is ground into flour and the other half is in small pieces, about 1-2 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 475 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray or brush it with the olive oil.
- Add the quinoa crumbs + the 1/3 cup of reserved quinoa to a large bowl and add in the Panko bread crumbs, pepper and seasoned salt. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl combine the buttermilk and 1/4 cup of the BBQ Honey Mustard sauce, add the chicken and toss well.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been used. Make sure not to crowd your pan, if necessary use two baking sheets. Lightly spray the fingers with cooking spray or a mist of olive oil.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then gently flip using kitchen tongs and spray the other side. Bake for 10-12 minutes more, then remove from oven and serve with the remaining BBQ Honey Mustard. Garnish with fresh cilantro and or parsley + a lemon wedge if desired.
So I’ll just come to your house for my fix. Sound good? Awesome.