Mexican seasoned potatoes, poblanos, and black beans, all wrapped in tortillas with lots of avocado. Each Crispy Cheese Poblano Avocado Burrito is pan-fried in a layer of jalapeños and cheese until the cheese on the outside becomes crispy all around. Unique and so delicious. They’re crunchy on the outside, but creamy, cheesy, and spicy inside. Serve with the most deliciously creamy, lime crema. Great for game-day, dinner, or even a weekend breakfast.
I owe these burritos all to my cousin, Abby. She’s the genius mind that encouraged me to wrap our burritos in crispy jalapeño cheese. Originally these were just a bean and cheese burrito, but she made them sooo much better.
She told me all about these burritos made in LA from a place called, Lowkey Burritos in Long Beach. Basically, they take their breakfast burrito and wrap it in a blanket of crispy cheese. She said it’s pretty crazy (here’s the video), but at the same time so delicious looking. I just had to do my own version.
Of course, I loved the idea of the cheese blanket, so I didn’t argue with Abby’s request. Who couldn’t love a cheese blanket?
I wanted to make mine a little different though, so I stuck with my original burrito idea. But decided to add the cheese blanket to them. It sounds a little over the top, but to be honest, it’s really so darn delicious. It’s an awesome way to cook up burritos. I’ve never loved that the cheese in burrito wraps is never that warm or crispy. So this solves that problem for me!
While these might look intimidating, they’re really no more work than your average burrito. For the filling, I kept things vegetarian and did potatoes with poblanos, black beans, and spices.
The poblanos are what make the mix really delicious. They’re a little on the smoky side, so they add a lot of flavor. If your family prefers meat, I added ground beef for the boys, which they, of course, really loved.
Roll um up
Well, first make the crema. Greek yogurt or sour cream, garlic, lime, and sea salt. I kept it really simple.
To assemble, I made the filling with smashed avocado (tip – add lime juice and sea salt), pepper jack cheese, the peppers, beans, salsa, and lots of cilantro. I rolled everything into a large burrito size tortilla. Try to use the largest tortillas you can find to make rolling easier.
You can use any of your favorite “add-ins” of course! Red loves to add the crema to his!
Cook them up and get um crispy.
Promise this is easier than you think. Just take your favorite blend of Mexican cheeses, I use pepper jack, Monterey jack, and cheddar. Then sprinkle the cheese in a skillet over top a few jalapeño slices. For us, the jalapeños are key – you guys know we love a little heat!
Put the burrito on top of the cheese and cook until the cheese gets crispy. When it starts melting, you can roll the burrito up in the cheese using a spatula. I took some photos for visuals and have a story on Instagram too!
Serve these warm, just off the skillet with lots of that crema on the side. So darn delicious. Everyone couldn’t get over how good these are, and how fun too! They’re pretty hard to beat.
Nothing fancy, just really delicious food. Excited to have this recipe on hand for dinners to come. They’ll be great for the super bowl too! These burritos are just one of those meals that everyone loves!
Looking for other fun wraps/sandwiches? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make these Crispy Cheese Poblano Avocado Burrito. be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Crispy Cheese Poblano Avocado Burrito
Servings: 6 burritos
Calories Per Serving: 682 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 russet potato, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 avocado, smashed
- 1/2-1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1-2 jalapenos, sliced
- 6 large (burrito size) large tortillas
View Recipe Comments
- 1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the potato and onion, cook 5 minutes un softened. Add the chipotle chili powder, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir in the poblanos, cook another 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the beans. 2. To make the burritos. Place one tortilla at a time in the microwave for 20 seconds. Layer the avocado, pepper jack, peppers/beans, salsa, and cilantro. Fold the tortilla over the ingredients. Fold sides and ends of tortillas over filling and roll forward. Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients. 3. To make the crema. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt. 4. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Arrange 2-3 jalapeño slices in a line in the skillet. Sprinkle over 1/2 cup cheese in 4-6 inch circle/square. Place the burrito on top of the cheese. Cook 3-5 minutes. When the cheese starts to crisp on the bottom, use a spatula to gently wrap the burrito up in the cheese. Continue to cook 3-4 minutes, until crisped all over. 5. Serve warm with lime crema and any amount of desired toppings, whatever you love!