Indian Style Baked Eggs with Green Harissa + Naan.
And a little goat cheese because well, YUM.
Umm, but I may have forgotten the goat cheese for photos. UGH. So very sorry about this, but in my defense, my working conditions have been pretty dusty and intrusive lately.
At this very moment, I have three carpenters sawing wood in the next room over and if you looked at the photos of my house, you already know that everything is OPEN. SO, this means I have saw dust all over me and yeah, I do think it may be effecting the effectiveness of my brain. The very good news is, I can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel. Well, as far as the wood work goes. They are working on the last wall and while I am sure there are still a few other minor things that will need to be done, I am SO exited for the major wood work to be over with. It should hopefully mean that the bulk of all the dustyness will be over.
And also!?!? My bedroom is totally finished…well minus my cute little chandler that I still need my very LAME electrician to hang. I will not lie, getting that chandelier hung may never happen. I may end up trying to convince my dad to come over and do it. My electrician? He just will not show up and when he does? He comes and does the tiniest thing and he’s gone within the hour. It’s cool though, my lights just dangle out of their sockets and it’s a little dark at night, but the kitchen works….so I am good….or this is what I keep telling myself….it’a all gonna be worth it….yes….it will.
So anyway, happy Monday!
Are some of you off work for Martin Luther King Jr. Day? My dad’s off, but I am thinking there are a lot of us out there working today? You lucky people who have the day off, are you doing anything fun? I’m cooking of course, along with my worker dudes, but that’s pretty much a very typical day for me these days. I am also trying to figure out how to get internet down here at the barn. At first I tried a Verizon hot spot – not for me, ate waaay too much data! Then I looked into other options , but nothing sounded too promising. Now we are going back to Comcast to see if they can help. You see my mom bought this giant 1000 ft outdoor ethernet cord on Amazon to try to establish a connection from the main house all the way down to the barn. Unfortunately, we lacked the skills needed to make the thing work! Next move – call in the Comcast cavalry and see what they can do. You see there is no digging around here after October 15 and we missed the date. Therefore, we need to get creative. I’ll keep you posted!
Ok, but let’s talk about these Northern Indian style baked eggs.
I told you guys I was doing something with that green harissa from yesterday. I bet that many of you, knowing my love for eggs, guessed I would pair them with the green harissa. I mean, do you remember when I made the red harissa and then the next day I made this toast? Being honest here, it’s probably some of the best toast around. Eggs, avocado, goat cheese<–YEAH.
Naturally, I went with Indian flavors and eggs, but this time I baked umm, and made them much more curry-like. Curry baked eggs… with tomatoes and cilantro and goat cheese, oh and loads of fresh naan for dipping (a must obviously).
It’s the best any time, cozy and yet still super healthy, meal. Also, I have never been hung over, but I am thinking this would cure any hangover. I mean, right?!? Eggs, tomatoes, cheese, carbs? Sounds pretty perfect to me.
This recipe could not be better food for a Monday. Like I said, it’s delish, cozy, quick, easy AND healthy, but yet still feels totally comforting. Trust me. make this tonight – and the naan, because it’s really nothing without the naan. You need something to soak up all the sauce.
And before I go, I want to say that this recipe was inspired by a photo the incredibly talented Tara O’Brady Posted. Her eggs looked so incredible I wanted to try my hand at them!
Northern Indian Style Baked Eggs with Green Harissa + Naan.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: eggs, harissa, naan
It's the best any time, cozy and yet still super healthy, meal. Also, I have never been hung over, but I am thinking this would cure any hangover. I mean, right?!? Eggs, tomatoes, cheese, carbs? Sounds pretty perfect to me.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1-2 jalapenos seeded + chopped (I used 1 large)
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes 28
- 1/3 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes oil drained (or 2 tablespoons tomato paste)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk I used full fat
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 4-6 eggs
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled (optional)
- 1/2 cup green or red harissa
- chopped almonds fresh dill and limes, for garnish
- fresh naan for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onions. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until soft. Add the jalapenos, garlic and ginger. Cook another 2 minutes and then stir in the cumin, garam masala, chili powder and smoked paprika. Continue cooking for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, crushing them with your hand as you add them. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, coconut milk and crushed red pepper. Bring the sauce to a low boil and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro
- Create small wells for the eggs and carefully crack the eggs into the wells. Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper. Place the whole skillet in the oven and bake until the whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh dill, lime and almonds. Serve with a side of fresh hot [naan | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-naan-step-step-photos/].
*Recipe inspired by [Tara O'Brady's | http://sevenspoons.net/] Photo of her recipe for Northern Indian Baked Eggs.
Hello comfort food – done healthy.