Spicy Green Harissa.
I have something SO very GREEN for us today.
I know Friday was all about indulgent…meaning, butter, sugar, peanut butter and chocolate, but today I have got us all back on track, with a little metabolism boosting green harissa.
But really, isn’t this SO green? How could it not be packed full of healthy ingredients?
AND wait until you see what I have to pair with this spicy green harissa….tomorrow.
So a while back I asked you guys what recipes you wanted to see this year and as it turns out, just about everyone is on the same page.
Indian food, please! Totally fine by me because I love Indian food. In fact I already had this recipe planned before I even asked you guys, so clearly I was a happy camper to read your comments that you’d like to see more Indian food.
Green harissa is a lot like the more traditional red harissa in that they are both spicy, but their flavors are pretty different. I have made red harissa before and it’s basically all peppers and spices (it’s delish!). Green harissa is a combo of jalapeno, cilantro, parsley and cumin. Some people add a few other spices or even spinach for more color, I actually added some green olives…they’re not traditional, but they’re so good!
Green harissa is so quick and easy to make AND I pretty much had all the ingredients on hand. YES.
Ok, but as you might have guessed, I have to admit I made this green harissa with another recipe in mind…
So make this today as a Sunday prep and you’ll be ready to go for Monday. Sound good?
Spicy Green Harissa.
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 leave jalapenos seeded if desired (or in just a few seeds)
- 2 green onions
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1/3 cup green olives (optional these are not traditional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- Lightly toast the cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring often until fragrant, 2-3 minutes; let cool.
- Add the seeds to a food processor or high powdered blender and purée the seeds with the cilantro, parsley, jalapeños, garlic, green onions, green olives (if using), olive oil, lemon juice, and salt until smooth. Store in a sealed glass jar or container.