Instant Pot Chipotle Cheddar Corn Chowder.
Instant Pot Chipotle Cheddar Corn Chowder. The best summer corn chowder. So quick, so easy to make, and so delicious. Just grab a few ears of sweet corn, some spicy, smoky, chipotle peppers, some sharp cheddar cheese, and a few other ingredients, and in less than an hour you can have the perfect, summery, cozy bowl of corn chowder. Monday night just got so much better!
Hey, hi and happiest Monday! Hope you all had a great weekend and are soaking up these summer days. I can’t believe we are approaching mid August. I am loving this time so much, but also running around like a crazy person. What’s new, right?
Anyway, moving right along to today’s recipe…
Is it too early for this corn chowder? I know it’s August, and oh so HOT outside, but it’s also peak corn season, and that means we have to make corn chowder! Sure you could wait until September when the weather cools off a bit, but if I’m being honest, this is too good and too easy not to make right away. Plus, this chowder requires zero stove top cooking and zero oven use, so you don’t even need to heat up your kitchen to make it.
Meaning, this should be tonight’s dinner…Obviously.
You know what’s funny? Up until a few years ago I’d never had corn chowder, it’s always been a dish that my mom has loved, but I don’t ever remember eating it as a kid. The only corn dish my dad would serve up was grilled corn with butter. My mom might have made homemade corn bread occasionally, but other than that, it was really just grilled corn. No chowder or creamed corn chicken, nothing like that.
Thinking about this now, it kind of bums me out that I didn’t grow up enjoying a bowl of summery corn chowder. It’s a summer classic and man, it’s so cozy and delicious, I’m hooked. With the weather being warm during the day, but very cool at night (I’m talking forty degrees cool), it’s left me craving some cozier dishes.
Enter this chipotle cheddar corn chowder, it’s so good.
Over the last few years of writing HBH I have made two versions of corn chowder, a buffalo chicken corn chowder and a Thai inspired corn chowder, but today’s is my favorite. It’s a little more traditional, but with a twist, and I am so into it.
In an effort not to heat up my kitchen, I knew I wanted to make this chowder in my Instant Pot. I’m loving using the Instant Pot in the summer. It barely pushes out any heat into my already hot kitchen, and not only that, but it makes the littlest mess and it cooks dinner in minutes.
Here are the details.
For one, grab yourself an instant pot or a slow cooker, I included directions for both.
Now, cook up some bacon. What I love about the instant pot is that you can sear and sauté things in the instant pot insert. This just makes life so much easier and I love not having to mess up the stove top.
Cook up some bacon and then add in all your remaining ingredients. Cook on high pressure for ten minutes, release the steam, puree half of the chowder in a blender (or use an immersion blender), add the milk and cheese, cook a little longer, and DONE.
In just about forty-five minutes you’ll have corn chowder that tastes like it took hours to make. No joking around, it’s really that easy. And the best part? This is seriously the most delicious corn chowder.
There may be some of you who think of corn chowder as a little boring, but trust me, nothing about this corn chowder is boring.
I love the flavors of the sweet corn, spicy chipotle peppers, and sharp cheddar cheese. It’s not a combo that I see paired together that often, but it’s one of my personal favorites. It’s very savory, a little spicy, and extra cheesy.
You can serve this as a first course or do what I do and serve as a main with a side salad, and homemade beer bread (HBH cookbook recipe). If you ask me, the beer bread is essential…because you’ll need it to dip into your chowder.
Bottom line? If you’ve got some extra ears of corn lying around, make this chowder. Promise, you and whomever you are serving, are going to love this.
If you make this chipotle cheddar corn chowder, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you. Oh, and of course, if you do make this chowder, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram so I can see! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Instant Pot Chipotle Cheddar Corn Chowder
The best summer corn chowder. So quick, so easy, and so delicious. Just grab a few ears of sweet corn, some spicy, smoky, chipotle peppers, some sharp cheddar cheese, and a few other ingredients. In less than an hour you can have the perfect, summery, cozy bowl of corn chowder.
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 4 cups yellow corn kernels (from about 4 ears corn)
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- chopped green onions, for serving
1. Set Instant pot to sauté. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. If there is an excess amount of bacon grease, remove all abut 1 tablespoon of grease.
2. To the instant pot, add the onion and cook another 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add the garlic, corn, potatoes, chipotle chilies, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour in the chicken broth. Cover, select the manual setting, and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
3. Once done cooking, use the natural or quick release function and release the steam. Transfer 1/2 of the chowder to a blender and pulse until chunky smooth (not totally pureed). Return to the instant pot.
4. Set the Instant pot to sauté. Stir in the milk and cheese, and cook 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the chowder thickens slightly. Stir in the cilantro.
4. Ladle the chowder into bowls and top with the reserved bacon and green onions. Enjoy!
1. To the slow cooker, add the onion, garlic, corn, potatoes, chipotle chilies, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour in the chicken broth. Cover, and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
2. Once done cooking, transfer 1/2 of the chowder to a blender and pulse until chunky smooth (not totally pureed). Return to the slow cooker. Stir in the milk and cheese, turn the heat to high and cook 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the chowder thickens slightly. Stir in the cilantro.
3. Crisp the bacon on the stove top. Ladle the chowder into bowls and top with the reserved bacon and green onions. Enjoy!
Our Favorite Recipes
Summer Harvest Veggie and Avocado Quinoa Bowl.