I feel like these are fitting for today.
Thanksgiving is in less than forty-eight hours, which means the holidays are in full swing.
I think everyone could use an easy recipe right about now.
But just because these cookies are about as easy as it gets, does not mean they lack in flavor or cuteness.
Because for one there is both caramel and nutella. These two ingredients together can never do any wrong. And they are both sitting atop a chocolate covered pretzel.
I am telling you, it does not get more simple or better.
The base of these cookies is just melted milk chocolate with pretzels pushed into it. For the pretzels I used thin Pretzel Crisps, which I think worked so perfectly for these. They are just the right size and shape.
You should be warned though, they are kind of addicting.
The chocolate covered pretzels get topped with a large dollop of nutella. And I do mean large. I was very generous with my spoonfuls.
It’s nutella, so I say go big or go home.
Ok, so now comes the turtle part.
Add two roasted pecans to each cookie and then spoon on some of the melted caramel. Oh man, things are getting good!
Then just drizzle with some more melted chocolate and sprinkle with some flaked sea salt.
If you have a little extra time I highly recommend making some vanilla bean flaked sea salt. SO good guys.
And your done.
I told you, idiot proof. You do not even need the oven, the stove, a mixer, flour or eggs. They are just simple.
But ridiculously good.
Any so incredibly perfect for the holiday’s.
Easy for entertaining, kind of awesome as a snack and ready in under thirty minutes. Yes, done in under thirty! It’s kind of a dream Christmas cookie too.
Oh, and I have found that people kind of go nuts for pretzels covered in both nutella and chocolate.
So my guess is that if your bring these to a party, you are probably going to quickly become the hit. Well, or at least the cookies will!
Honestly, I recommend doubling and maybe even tripling the recipe. I mean, it only makes twenty cookies and trust me, they go so fast… fast like Lighting McQueen.
Sometimes the simplest things are really the best.
(Idiot Proof) Salted Chocolate Covered Pretzel + Nutella Turtle Cookies
Servings: 22 cookies
Calories Per Serving: 156 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Collection
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 10 ounces milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chopped, divided
- 20 pretzels
- 20 teaspoons large rounded nutella I really just eyeballed it
- 40 whole pecans toasted
- 24 caramels unwrapped I used Wether's Original
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- [flaked vanilla sea salt | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-holiday-gifts-vanilla-bean-salt-vanilla-bean-sugar/] of flaked sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or a silpat.
- In a microwave safe bowl add 8 ounces of the chopped chocolate. Melt the chocolate on 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. It took me about one minute and 30 seconds.
- Dollop about 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate in a small circle (about the size of an Oreo) onto the prepared wax paper lined baking sheet. Repeat until you have made 20 or so dollops of chocolate.
- Now take your pretzels and press one pretzel into each of the melted chocolate circles. This should push the chocolate circle out to about the size of a small-medium cookie. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 10-15 minutes (or the fridge for 20 minutes).
- While the chocolate hardens add the unwrapped caramels and the heavy cream or coconut milk to a microwave safe bowl. Melt the caramels the same way you melted the chocolate. Melt on 30 seconds intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. It took me about one minute and 30 seconds. Set aside and let cool at least 5 minutes before adding to the cookies.
- Remove the chocolate covered pretzels from the freezer and spread about 2 teaspoons or so of the nutella (just eyeball it!) onto each pretzel and then press 2 toasted pecans into the center of the nutella. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Next spoon a little of the caramel over top of each cookie, covering most of the pecans.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave and drizzle each cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with the flaked sea salt and place the pan back in the freezer for 10 minutes (or in the fridge for 20 minutes). Serve cold or at room temperature. If your house is warm I recommend storing these in the fridge so the chocolate does not melt.
And this is one of those times.