And welcome to the day before Thanksgiving.
In twenty-seven days I will be saying it is Christmas eve.
Today I have a little last-minute appetizer/snack/side dish for you guys. It is a triple threat.
And they are super easy, cute and actually pretty healthy. Which obviously just means more room for pie!
I really hope you guys are still looking for a good appetizer for tomorrow because these are so good.
Yes, they may be simple, but there is so much flavor here.
The sweet potatoes are tossed in coconut oil and curry and then roasted in the oven where they are going to get caramelized and fluffy. The sweet potatoes alone are so good.
But I wanted to add a little color and texture.
Enter the honeyed (yes it is a word! I looked it up) walnuts and cranberries.
Perfect combo to go with the sweet and slightly spicy sweet potatoes.
And then the cheese… well you know how I feel about cheese, but the cheese on these is the ultimate final touch.
Kind of like the flaked sea salt on these cookies. It just ties everything together. If you are not into blue cheese I would recommend swapping for goat cheese. I have done this and the curry and goat cheese combo is equally as good!
Ok, so kind of a short post for you guys today.
I have to prepare. People are flooding in by the minute, all three fridges are nearing their empty state and I have to go to the grocery store on the day before Thanksgiving! Send help.
I need it.
Oh, but if you are like me and very unplanned this Thanksgiving, I do have a few ideas for you.
Let’s do a little blast from the past. I made this Sage Pesto Pumpkin Soup, this Kale and Wild Rice Casserole, this Buffalo Cheddar Beer Bread Stuffing, these EASY nutella turtle cookies, these EASY peanut butter snickerdoodle chocolate cups and this Fudge Brownie Creme Brulee Pie!
Curried Sweet Potato Rounds with Honeyed Walnuts, Cranberries and Blue Cheese
Servings: 20 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 68 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 inch large sweet potatoes or yams sliced into 1/4 thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon thai red curry paste
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons honey plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2-4 ounces blue cheese crumbles goat cheese is equally great!
- leaves fresh sage for garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the melted coconut oil, thai red curry paste, curry powder, cumin, ginger, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Place the potato slices on the parchment and drizzle curry mixture on top. Rub the mixture on both sides of the slices, place in a single layer, then bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the slices. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown and caramelized. Remove from the oven and let cool at least five minutes before topping.
- At the same time you roast the sweet potatoes add the walnuts to a small baking dish and toss with the honey. Bake for 10 -15 minutes or until lightly golden and toasted. Remove from the oven and immediately spoon the walnuts onto a parchment lined plate in a single layer so they do not stick to each other. Once the walnuts have cooled for about five minutes toss them with the cranberries.
- To assemble the bites top each sweet potato round with a little bit of the walnuts and cranberries. Sprinkle each round with blue cheese and garnish with one sage leaf. Drizzle with honey if desired.
View Recipe Comments
These can be made ahead and served at room temperature. Just make sure to drizzle on the honey right before serving. You can also serve these warm by fully assembling them (minus the honey) and placing them on a baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and then drizzle with honey.
Happy Thanksgiving Eve!!