It’s about that time….
Another boozy dessert.
What? It’s been a whole month since I did those Oatmeal Cookie Banana Crisp with Chocolate Kahlua Sauce.
I have discovered the awesomeness of hazelnut liquor.
And I am not talking about adding it to drinks. Drinks are not my thing, but desserts??
Hazelnut liquor is just, wow.
Is it weird that I feel like I could sit and sniff the bottle for hours and hours. I like to do the same thing with vanilla, they both remind me of chocolate cake and Christmas.
I love it.
Yesterday, was just one of those days.
Things were crazy, the brothers were bored, the house was one giant mess and these cupcakes were much needed.
Since I went to the store the other day and practically forgot everything on my list, I used what I had in my cupboard for these.
Which was honey, hazelnuts, chocolate chunks (always, always, chocolate) and hazelnut liquor.
Lucky for me the flavors just worked….
But, they still took me three batches to get photo ready.
If I was not going to be taking photos and trying to make these look all cute, the first batch would have been a winner, but of course I over-filled my cupcake tins and ended up with giant muffin tops that just did not look pretty. Then for the second batch I totally LOST MY MIND and left out all the baking powder. Yeah, still edible, but totally dense and flat.
Finally, after like four hours working on the same cupcakes I got it right. I am now buried in hazelnut cupcakes.
Unlike me though, if you are smart and use your head these guys are just as easy as any other cupcake recipe. Make the batter, bake, make the frosting (oh my gosh, so good), toast the hazel nuts and frost.
Oh and don’t forget the extra drizzle of honey.
Honey Toasted Hazelnut Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes with Boozy Honey Buttercream Frosting
Servings: 18 Cupcakes
Calories Per Serving: 405 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
Honey Toasted Hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey plus more for drizzinling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with 16-18 liners or grease with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, honey, hazelnut liquor and vanilla and beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the milk and coffee into a glass measuring cup or small bowl.
- Then alternately add flour mixture and milk/coffee to the butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until mixture is combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake for 20 to 15 minutes or until the center of the cupcakes does not jiggle and the tops are puffed and lightly browned. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely.
- While the cupcakes bake toast hazelnuts. Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the hazelnuts and honey to the pan. Toast over medium for about 5 minutes, just be careful and watch that they don not burn. Remove and allow to cool.
- To make the frosting, In large mixing bowl beat the butter, honey, and hazelnut liquor the with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Taste and if desired add more powdered sugar to your liking.
- To assemble, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with the honey toasted hazelnuts. Drizzle with honey if desired.
Because it is totally necessary. No, really it is!