This super simple Creamy Gnocchi Chicken Soup is that bowl of winter comfort we’re all craving most right now. A mix of vegetables simmered with Italian seasonings, chicken, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and potato gnocchi. Finish each bowl off with a nice sprinkling of parmesan, then serve with crusty bread. It’s full of yumminess and great for just about any night of the week. Truly one of those all-in-one dinners that everyone at the table will love.
When it snows all week in December it’s hard not to crave the most comforting foods. For me, that means roasted vegetables, chicken and rice, slow-simmered short ribs, and soup. Lots of soup. My favorite is probably a good broccoli cheddar, but gnocchi soup is high on my list.
I made my very first gnocchi soup two years ago around this time. I’ve made it multiple times since, we love the recipe! It’s a very creamy, white Italian-style gnocchi soup.
So today, I’m sharing a very creamy red version with chicken. This has similar flavors to a really great sun-dried tomato chicken pasta, but in soup!
It’s full of yumminess!
Here are the steps
Start out by cooking up that onion, then add the vegetables, chicken, herbs, and spices. Cooking the spices before adding in the liquid will help to intensify the flavors.
Once that’s all cooked up, stir in a pat of butter and some flour. I wanted to create a creamy soup, and the butter-flour roux helped to achieve that. In the end, you get a gnocchi soup that’s incredibly creamy. It’s fit for some of the coldest nights of the year.
Next, stir in a little broth and simmer everything together to allow the chicken to cook and the flavors to mend together.
At this point, simply finish the soup with a splash of creamy milk and parmesan cheese. Then add the gnocchi and simmer for a few minutes until the gnocchi is soft.
Easy, EASY. Indulgent, but just right for this time of year, and so delicious.
As with most soups, I always recommend serving with a side of crusty bread for dipping into that creamy broth. Then add a nice side salad for color and you’ll have the perfect easy dinner.
If you’re planning to enjoy this soup leftover, be sure to first remove the gnocchi from the broth before refrigerating. That way the gnocchi won’t soak up all the broth. Then just add the gnocchi back in before serving.
I think that’s really about it. A simple recipe for these busier short and sweet December days!
Looking for other easy winter night dinners?? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Creamy Gnocchi Chicken Soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Creamy Gnocchi Chicken Soup
Calories Per Serving: 483 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (see note)
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 pinch each kosher salt and black pepper
- 4-6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 4-6 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk, heavy cream, or whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 pound fresh potato gnocchi
- 1. In a large soup pot set over medium heat, combine the olive oil and onion. Cook 5 minutes, until fragrant. Add the carrots and celery. Cook another 3 minutes.2. Stir in the butter and flour, cook 1 minute. Add the chicken, garlic, Italian seasoning, paprika, thyme, and a pinch each of chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat in spices. Add 4 cups broth. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. 3. Pull the chicken out and shred using 2 forks. Add back to the soup. 4. Stir in the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, cream/milk, parmesan, and gnocchi. Cook until warmed throughout, about 5 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add additional broth. 5. Serve the soup topped with parmesan. Enjoy warm, preferably with a crusty piece of bread.
View Recipe Comments
Italian Seasoning: Mix 2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, and 1 teaspoon dried sage. Store in a sealed container.