I did something a little crazy…and totally out of character for me.
I bought a last-minute ticket and flew to Cleveland, OH to surprise my brother on his 30th Birthday.
I flew in super late on Thursday and flew home yesterday afternoon. It was a fast and jam-packed trip that was both tiring and really fun, but all of the travel and stress were 100 percent worth it to see the look on my brother’s face when I popped out at his surprise party.
My brother knew my parents and Asher were flying in for the week to visit with family, but he was completely clueless about his surprise party, and he never would have guessed that I would ever make an appearance.
He knows how busy I have been lately, and honestly, I really don’t leave the house very often. I’m kind of a homebody and I have a semi-hard time taking time off from actual work. But I don’t know, something about this trip and seeing him and surprising him on his birthday was feeling right.
Plus, I knew there was most likely some shopping that would take place with my brother’s girlfriend…which we did, we literally shopped till we dropped.
It was the best…she’s kind of the best 🙂
Anyway, I’m pretty sure I was a big part of Creighton’s birthday, which I never ever thought I could do, but I think I did.
My brother was so beyond excited to see me, like he almost cried, which made me almost cry, and I kind of think my mom did cry. Everyone told me they got tears in their eyes just watching.
I mean, jeez, make a girl feel good or what.
It was also great to see family and friends, most of which I have not seen in forever. So all in all, it was a pretty great trip.
I will not lie though, it was a little sad to leave everyone. Missin’ my Cleveland family just a little bit at the moment.
But I did get to take care of my little goats and chickens once I got home… so kind of good to be home too.
And I want to tell you all about this fresh basil salad with prosciutto wrapped melon and toasted seed rolled goat cheese. Isn’t it pretty?? I figured it would be the prefect thing to detox us all after a most likely busy weekend. Which by the way, how was everyone’s weekend? I hope your weather was nice and you all saw some great fireworks!! It was not crazy hot in Ohio, but there was no rain and we had a sunny 4th, so I would say mine was pretty great!
It totally could have used this healthy salad though, I had people handing me margaritas, beers and all kinds of drinks that I just sort of let chill in my hand. All good stuff, but honestly, drinking still really isn’t for me, so I held my own, semi-looked the part and just kind sipped…but shhh don’t tell anyone!
Ok, but this salad, it’s perfect! Full of color, simple flavors and just plain healthiness!!
The prosciutto wrapped melon is my favorite, but the toasted seed rolled goat cheese is HIGH on my list too. Plus, a basil salad?? I mean, yes please!!
Fresh Basil Salad with Prosciutto Wrapped Melon and Toasted Seed Rolled Goat Cheese.
Servings: 4 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 606 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
Toasted Seed Rolled Goat Cheese
Sweet Corn Dressing
- 3 cups fresh basil
- 3 cups red leaf lettuce
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 small cantaloupe sliced into half circles
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
Toasted Seed Rolled Goat Cheese
- Place the coconut oil, maple syrup, buckwheat groats, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, pistachios and a pinch of salt in a large skillet, set over medium heat. Toast the seeds, stirring often for about 5 minutes or until light golden and fragrant. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, roll the goat cheese between your hands to create tiny little teaspoon size balls. They may want to crumble, but if you just squeeze the goat cheese with you hands and then roll it into a ball it works great.
- Once the seeds are cool, roll the goat cheese balls in the seeds. Place on a plate and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add the shallot and cook until lightly caramelized, season with a pinch of salt. Next, add the corn and cook 1-2 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, honey + salt and pepper to taste. Store in a glass jar in the fridge until ready to serve.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the basil, lettuce and raspberries. Wrap the prosciutto around the the cantaloupe slices and sprinkle with salt. Place on the salad. Add the goat cheese balls. Serve with the sweet corn dressing. Enjoy!
View Recipe Comments
*if you prefer, you can soak your buckwheat groats overnight to get more nutrients out of them and make digesting the buckwheat easier, but I honestly never do this because I just forget.
After a long summer weekend of red, white and blues… bring on the greens!