We’re switching things up today.
Today we are doing dinner for breakfast and I promise, it is not weird at all.
It is actually totally awesome.
I mean carbs are breakfast food, right?
Bagels, toast, cereal, oatmeal, grits, granola? Yup, all totally delicious and all totally carb heavy. So really, why the heck not pasta!?
In all honesty this meal is a triple threat. You can serve it for breakfast/brunch/lunch or dinner. It works at any hour of the day.
And trust me, my family was highly skeptical when I said pasta for breakfast, but then they just shut their mouths and ate their pasta because, hello it is pasta, eggs and bacon. No matter what time of day, that combo is going to be gooood.
And yes, that would be some buttered toast with my pasta.
You gotta do the toast. It just rounds out the the meal.
This hash or well, I am not really sure it is a hash since there are no potatoes involved, but I just really wanted to use the word hash. So I did. Send the hash police if you must!
Anyway, this hash is perfect for any holiday brunch. You can assembly it completely ahead of time and then just throw it in the oven before guests arrive. It is kind of fun to watch people’s reactions when they see that you are serving pasta for brunch. They may be skeptical, but they are still going to love it.
And the combo of spinach, artichokes, mushrooms and loads of melty fontina cheese is so good. This is definitely a family favorite combo, especially when paired with the angel hair pasta, my moms all time favorite pasta.
I tend to use a lot of angel hair to make her happy, but I think any pasta would work great.
Oh, and you can totally keep this vegetarian by leaving the bacon out.
But only do that if you must. The bacon is good.
Fontina Spinach and Artichoke Breakfast Pasta Hash
Servings: 6 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 536 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 6 slices thick cut bacon chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 12 ounces marinated artichokes hearts drained
- 1 pound angle hair pasta
- 8 ounces fontina cheese half diced, half shredded (or more!)
- 6-8 eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- lots of chopped parsley for garnish
View Recipe Comments
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and prepare according to directions. Drain and set aside. Preheat the oven to 374 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet (mine was 12 inches) over medium-high heat and cook bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove all but one tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan, then add the olive oil and heat over high heat. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms in a single layer. Don't stir them! Let them sizzle until they have caramelized on the bottom, about 2 minutes. When the bottoms are caramelized, toss them once and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the dill, oregano, crushed red pepper and pepper. Stir in the thawed spinach and artichokes and gently stir everything to combine. Cook another 2-3 minutes until heated through.
- Add half of the pasta, the cubes of fontina and a drizzle of olive oil, toss well, adding in more pasta if desired. Create small wells for the eggs and carefully crack the eggs into the wells. Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper and then add the remaining shredded cheese. Drizzle the cream over the eggs. Place the whole skillet in the oven and bake until the whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 15 to 18 minutes. If you want to brown the cheese a bit more turn the broiler on for 30 seconds, but the eggs will probably not be runny anymore. Remove from the oven and add the crispy bacon. Garnish with chopped parsley. EAT!
Now that was a good and hearty breakfast.
*Don’t forget to enter to win A KitchenAid Stand mixer. The giveaway is going on right now. Enter here!