Crockpot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken. A delicious, easy slow cooker meal using white wine, creamy Dijon mustard, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh herbs, and parmesan cheese. I even added in some vibrant fresh spinach for veggies and color. This slow-cooked chicken dinner is a hearty and delicious meal to come home to at the end of a busy day. Perfect for these long cold nights we’re all experiencing. This is also the easiest dinner to prepare, you simply can’t go wrong with this creamy sun-dried tomato chicken. Serve it with polenta, rice, or crusty bread.
As we start to get down to these final days leading up to Christmas, I am definitely focusing on recipes that don’t require much effort. Especially for dinner. I think between, brothers, cousins…and new nieces and nephews…we’ll have over 20 people staying with my parents this holiday. So easy needs to be the name of the game.
I’m not sure exactly when they all start arriving, but I know it’s soon after I get back from New York. With that in mind, I’m always looking for dinners that everyone will enjoy that are simple to prepare.
Like most of us, I love using the crockpot. But it’s essential when all of the family is in town. With so much always happening during the dinner time hour, it’s nice to just have something already cooking and not be working on multiple dishes on the stove.
This recipe is loosely inspired by my French wine and mustard chicken, but made with a few additions. Additions like sun-dried tomatoes and my homemade Italian seasoning mix. I think it’s even more flavorful this way!
This is perfect for this time when the days are chilly and the nights are their coldest. Especially when served over a plate of creamy polenta.
Here are the details
As you can imagine, this is really pretty straightforward. And as I always try to do, I’ve provided the crockpot, instant pot, and stove top directions.
I start with the sun-dried tomatoes. I love using a jar of oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes. Not only are the tomatoes delicious, but I also use the oil from the jar as well. The oil is seasoned, so it adds even more flavor. Just make sure it’s extra virgin olive oil.
Add the chicken to the crockpot, then rub it all over with shallots, garlic, my homemade Italian seasoning, paprika, and chili flakes. Then add the mustards. I like to use both a creamy Dijon and a grainy Dijon. I love using mustard in cream sauces, it always adds a rich creaminess to every sauce.
Then, pour over the wine, add a squeeze of lemon, and if you have one, a parmesan rind to add even more flavor.
At this point, just cover the crockpot and cook. You can speed things up by cooking on high, or go low and slow. Alternatively, you can use the instant pot, but I do prefer the crockpot method here.
When the chicken has cooked, pull it out and set it on a small sheet pan. Stir the cream into the sauce, then add the spinach and allow that to cook.
While the sauce is finishing up, I grab the reserved sun-dried tomato oil and drizzle it all over the chicken. Then throw the chicken under the broiler for a couple of minutes to crisp it up. This is totally optional, but I do think it adds to the dish.
And then I serve. I love serving this over bowls of cheesy polenta, it is DELISH. I always like to add some crusty bread too.
A very simple, easy-to-clean-up dinner with minimal hands-on time too!
Great for busy nights with out-of-town guests. Or just your average weeknight…it’s a great mix of hearty, creamy, and delicious!
Looking for other slow cooker meals? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make this Crockpot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Crockpot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken with Creamy Polenta
Calories Per Serving: 398 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 1 (8 ounce) jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (see note)
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- chili flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese + the rind
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1. Drain 2 tablespoons of oil from the sun-dried tomato jar into the crockpot. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and set aside.2. In the crockpot, rub the chicken with the shallot, garlic, Italian seasoning, and the mustards. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes. Pour over the wine. Add the lemon juice and parmesan rind (if using). Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours or on high for 1-2 hours.2. Preheat the broiler to high. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place on a baking sheet.3. Crank the heat on the slow cooker to high. Stir in the cream, spinach, and parmesan.4. Rub the chicken with the reserved oil, then broil 2-5 minutes, until crisp. Serve the chicken and sauce over creamy polenta, rice, or with crusty bread.
- 1. Drain 2 tablespoons of oil from the sun-dried tomato jar into the crockpot. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and set aside.2. Set the instant pot to saute, rub the chicken with the oil, the shallot, garlic, Italian seasoning, and the mustards. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Add the chicken to the instant pot and sear until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Add the sun-dried tomatoes. Pour over the wine. Add the lemon juice and parmesan rind (if using). Cover and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.3. Once done cooking, release the steam. Set the Instant pot to sauté. Stir in the cream, spinach, and parmesan.4. Serve the chicken and sauce over creamy polenta, rice, or with crusty bread.
- 1. Drain 2 tablespoons of oil from the sun-dried tomato jar into the crockpot. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and set aside.2. Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Rub the chicken with the oil, the shallot, garlic, Italian seasoning, and the mustards. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Add the chicken to the pot and sear until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Add the sun-dried tomatoes. Reduce the heat to medium. Pour in 3/4 cup wine. Add the lemon juice and parmesan rind (if using). Cover and cook 10-15 minutes.3. Stir in the cream, spinach, and parmesan.4. Serve the chicken and sauce over creamy polenta, rice, or with crusty bread.
View Recipe Comments
Italian Seasoning: Mix 2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, and 1 teaspoon dried sage. Store in a sealed container.