Ok, so originally this post was going to be vegan chocolate cupcakes……..
But then the coconut rum showed up……..at 10:30 am. (Yeah, people around here are having a good time. All I keep hearing is “I am on vacation……dont judge”) And something in my head just said, put this in a cupcake. Now!
Honestly, I was seriously in the middle of making the vegan the cupcakes actually I even baked and frosted the vegan cupcakes. But I just had to make these coconut rum cupcakes. I mean New Years Eve is on Monday and what better way to celebrate than with some chocolate rum cupcakes……
Please, do not get me wrong the vegan chocolate cupcake are delicious, but all 21 one of us (or it is 22, know one knows. We can not seem to get the count right) agreed the chocolate coconut rum cupcakes needed to be shared. Like right away, these can not wait. But the more I think about it, that does not say a lot. There is not one vegan in this house. Not one out of twenty-one people.
For my vegan readers out there, don’t worry I am planning a vegan post that I know will happen!
Just a little, behind the scenes, for you: As I write this my uncle is sitting, literally right by my side, asking waaay too may questions. Oh, the joys of having 13 Gerards, 6 Mooneys and 1 Chal in the house. Craziness! I think we have been running the dish washer like 4 times a day. That is not normal!
Anyway, these cupcakes are the bomb. The really are the perfect cupcake for watching the ball drop!
Chocolate Coconut Rum Cupcakes
Servings: 24 cupcakes
Calories Per Serving: 452 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup coconut flavored rum I used Malibu
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- For the Frosting:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 1/2 cups – 4 powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
View Recipe Comments
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 standard cupcake pans with 24 liners.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, simmer coconut rum and butter.
- Slowly whisk cocoa powder into saucepan until mixture is creamy.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk sugar, flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and greek yogurt with an electric mixer. Slowly add coconut rum and cocoa mixture. Combine on low speed.
- Slowly add flour and sugar mixture, combining on low speed until completely incorporated.
- Fill baking cups three-fourths full. Bake for about 22 minutes. Cool.
- To make the frosting cream butter until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with rum and vanilla, until desired consistency is reached. Feel free to add more or less sugar or liquid based on how thick you want your frosting.
Frosting recipe from Jessica.
This is how 2013 should be started!
I want eat this riiiight now =) I need a cook like you here in my house!
I am a big fan!
If I don’t have coconut rum, can I replace it with coconut milk instead, in the same proportion?
oh my goodness these are literally the greatest thing to ever happen to my mouth. amazing. thank you!
Any idea of how to alter these with no greek yogurt? I want to make them for someone with a dairy allergy.
I cannot say for sure, but I think any thick style vegan yogurt would work great! Just look for one at you local health food store or the dairy isle of your grocery store! Hope it works for you!
This is definitely how 2013 should start!!! I love all things coconut!!! Your cupcakes look absolutely fabulous!!!
Thank you, thank you , thank you! It sure was a yummy start to 2013!
Yum ….. I bet these are fantastic!
oh my, these cupcakes look so good! =)
Following you from Thursday’s Treasures!
Chocolate, Coconut and Rum…my 3 favorite things! 🙂 These look delicious!!
The frosting looks so good. If I could just eat the frosting I would be happy
I printed the recipe.
Thanks for printing the recipe! Hope you ove them and thanks for following me!
These sound awesome!
These look amazing. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays. The party will be live tonight. Thanks, Nichi
These look amazing! I need to try them!!
Happy New Year!!
Where do you find the time and energy for this wonderfulness?
Oh, honestly I do not know! I think I am a walking zombie!!! But I do it because I love it! I am always busy!!! But I like being busy!
They are so good, eveyone here (all 21 of us!) are going crazy for them!
Yum! Your cupcakes look fabulous!